Blog Post 3

The Better Lives class that I chose was Mask Making and Politics. In which the brief stated that the project would introduce us to the fundamental principles and techniques of 3D practitioners to design and manufacture masks for the creative industry.

During the classes we were shown all types of masks used for a variety of different reasons. Specifically, masks created for specific topics such as climate change, human rights, equality and so on. Other instances that masks are used in are performances, rituals and more.  

During this time, global warming is at its highest so far and climate change is very prominent. The most recent major issue I could think of were the Australian Bushfires; so I decided to focus on forest fires and fires altogether. Currently the ones affected most by these fires are the animals that reside in the forest but if we keep going at this rate without changing its only so long until we humans are affected in such a way as well. I wanted the mask I created to be sustainable and environmentally friendly and I wanted it to be easily malleable and thin and then paint over it to get the desired effect. 

During my research, I came across a lot of different materials that would be used but none of them created the effect I wanted it to, I mainly looked into wax, wood and clay as the main materials as a lot of the examples I saw used them. I want my mask to look life-like and I want it to accurately resemble a person with second and third degree burns to both: keep the wearer unrecognisable but also to show the viewer the human equivalent of what the forest creatures have to go through. I want to create this effect by making sure the features on the face are not easy to figure out; I wanted to make the mask extreme because I think if the viewer can relate more to the mask then they might feel more obligated to help out, or there’s the risk of the mask creating the complete opposite effect and people avoid them. After watching my peers presenting their work I came to realise that although I had thought through my project, there was still a lot of research I could have done to be more detailed.

My final design was of a human face with second and third degree burns. It would be created out of paper mache and then painted over and it would have strings to put around the ears. It would also potentially be a little larger than the average face. Overall, I really like the way that my final design looks, although I think I could have put in more time to do more thorough research in terms of the material used.

2 Comments