Blog post 2

Themes reflection

The better lives project has really opened me up to the different ways that themes might change how I work in the future. Social responsibility, diversity and sustainability are all aspects that play important roles in the world of fashion. I am most certainly reflecting on how I can experiment with these themes. Social stability is all about “the range of life structure and reliable routine that is protective against further situational hazards” I engage with social stability by being more careful with my retail therapy, being more environmentally friendly with my choice of materials. Investing in higher quality clothes so that the life span of my clothes will be longer. Avoiding trends is also a great way of being socially responsible, by consistently conforming to the expectations of society and fashion can save unnecessary waste and not to mention money. 

As I reflect on my own styling, it’s always a great to try and get multiple wears out of outfits. There are at least 5 ways that a top can be transformed into, it’s all about unlocking your inner creations. In the current society, there is pressure to be the next best thing. There is a culture of posting on Instagram and not being able to wear the outfit again because repeating clothes is very frowned upon. There are ways to turn knowledge of the better lives’ themes into creative practice. In terms of sustainability, opening my friends up to the idea of sharing clothes every month is a great way of recycling. There are online websites such as Depop that enable people from all over the world to sell clothe that they’ve worn once, never worn before or that have lost their value. Not to mention that shopping and giving clothes away to charity shops is always an act of goodwill. Second-hand clothes /vintage shops “assists in keeping the recycling system in place as people who can otherwise not afford these garments are able to wear them”. 

Rihanna has recently turned into a very inspirational fashionista who advocates for diversity in the world of styling. Her campaigns always consist of woman from all over the world, different shapes, sizes and ethnicities. ’Savage x Fenty’ is a brand that celebrates the beauty in what is seen ‘uncommon’. For a long time, the face of fashion was very cliché. Rihanna has helped me rethink my choice of casting when looking for models for a project. Diversity is an important way of showing different social economical backgrounds of people through styling.

Even through a world-wide pandemic there are still ways that stylists try to engage with themes that change how they work. For example, a brand called ADKN advocates for animal free / eco- friendly designs. They’ve also recently invested in reusable fabric masks that are made from bamboo masks. It makes me rethink about whether using disposable masks are sustainable, by using washable material it allows us to flatten the curve in a more environmentally friendly way. To conclude, the better lives themes have definitely provoked thoughts of how I can change my work practically.

References

2011 Dec 1st
Social Stability and Health: Exploring Multidimensional Social Disadvantage

Danielle german & Carl A. Latkin

2018 Jul 2nd
What are the environment benefits of buying pre-owned clothes?
Dheril Dsouza

ADKN
https://adkn.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwk6P2BRAIEiwAfVJ0rGo2wBUNb7wXlsKOs4or7Yedm7uAC2STSfwqXy2aRPafiSv7xnsaGBoC4TwQAvD_BwE