Blog 3: Project Outcome Reflection – Mask Making

During this Better Lives unit, I took part in Mask Making and Politics classes. The task was to design and create a political mask and so, I chose to focus on deforestation and the forest fires that are an effect of this. Looking into the way it affects nature and animals, my mask consisted of an orangutan face with flames appearing on the top half of the mask.
We spent the classes working on the sculpts for the mask and planned to create them after the Easter break, choosing between papier-mâché or vac-forming plastic. As my mask was based around conservation of nature, using plastic didn’t seem to be a good idea. I was informed however that we would be using recycled plastic to create the mask, but in the end I planned to do papier-mâché as it suited the shape and design of my mask better.
With the whole global pandemic occurring at the moment and everyone working from home, it was clear that we would not be able to physically work on the masks as intended. Instead, our task has changed to be design-led. I stuck to the basics of my design, only changing the material it would be made of if time and budget were not of concern. After having watched the Better Lives lectures, I took in what was said about sustainability and considered this thoroughly when researching materials for my mask.
Since it was a conceptual mask, I had a wide range of materials to consider. I wanted the materials to be of a sustainable source whilst still giving the appearance I want. In the end, I chose bamboo for the base of the mask as it has the wooded texture and appearance whilst being much more sustainable than standard hardwoods. For the flames, I chose tinted resin but later when presenting my idea to the class, Caroline Gardener suggested looking into natural saps and rosins as they would give a similar appearance but are of a much more natural source and thus, are more sustainable.

It was interesting to research into this as previously I only looked at papier-mâché and vac-forming plastic, the minimal options making it simpler to choose but not expanding my mind. It was purely practical in my mind, focusing on how to shape the clay and how I would paint the mask in the end. Changing to the design and research aspect has made me focus on choosing from all of the possibilities, making me really consider how sustainability plays into the creation of the product and how this would affect the design process.

I am very happy with the outcome of my conceptual mask design. I feel that it clearly portrays the issue at hand, making a statement within itself. One thing I missed out in my presentation that I noticed in other people’s presentation, was how the mask would be put onto the head. Some of their designs covered around the head, sitting like a helmet of sorts. As mine only covers the top half of the face, I would have fabric straps that sit around the circumference of the head and one that goes down the centre line of the head, connecting to the horizontal straps. This way, the mask will sit securely to the head and not slide down. They would be made out of organic linen since it is very sustainable. It requires minimal water and pesticides, no part of the plant is wasted, and it is strong and fully biodegradable when untreated. Leaving it to its natural colour will suit my mask design well.

1 Comment