Themes Reflection blogpost 2

In blog post 2 we are asked to reflect on the Better Lives themes and how it is going to affect the way we approach work in the future. The three themes in which are discussed are Sustainability, Diversity, and Social Responsibility. These topics are so widely spoken about everywhere now not just in fashion as society is trying to become more inclusive as a whole, each of these work together to create that. I am currently on the Fashion PR and Communications course, and through the exploration of the Better Lives themes and attending these lectures I have learnt that as a PR you need to be aware of these themes and topics while working in the industry. By exploring these topics I have learnt that the industry as a whole needs to consider being more mindful of being morally and ethically aware. 

Through engaging with the Better Lives lectures and exploring their themes of social responsibility, sustainability and diversity I feel as though as a student and a PR I should always be questioning a brands work or why they did what they did, investigating  a brand or publication in so much more depth. Asking questions like, who did they have working backstage on the runway (not just who they had on display on the catwalk)?, whos the person behind the brand running it currently? What makes this brand diverse or inclusive? Asking yourself questions such as these to explore the true reasoning behind a brand, for example just because a brand preaches about feminism and “girlpower” doesn’t always mean it is a feminist brand, one example is Missguided run by a male dominated board comprised of all men, yet try and advertise themselves and true womens brand. Maybe if they put a female on the board they could maybe call themselves a “girlpower”. This is when we start to question whether this is ethical or not, is this a form of lying? Is misguided trying to promote themselves as a brand that they just factually are not?

However these themes have allowed me not just to view brands with more depth in negative and eyeopening ways but also in the positives, for example, each theme: Diversity, Social Responsibity and Susatainability are all important topics in which need to be spoken about as much as they can, and as they are a growing topic of conversation it is forcing brands to change and become more diverse and inclusive. We are seeing more diversity on the catwalk for example Rhianna’s Savage X Fenty show included the first ever transgender model on a catwalk. Of course there is the question about the reason behind it, was it for pure inclusive intent or because it caused this catwalk to be the most spoken about in 2019, therefore for publicity motives. We don’t fully know however either way, we see a change happening. 

1 Comment