Project Outcomes and Personal Development

Project outcomes and personal development in Better Lives Module.

I initially chose the make-up section of Better lives because seeing as I don’t wear make-up I haven’t had the chance to learn what and how to do different make-up looks. Also I saw this as a chance to make me a stronger photographer because if I am able to achieve a certain a certain level of prowess in make-up then it’ll be easier to do shoots as I won’t have to organise to have a make-up artist unless I am doing a more extravagant shoot.  I started off this process by learning how to do a ‘Smoky Eye’ make up look this was initially challenging for me because even though I had painted before I hadn’t done make up looks. Using this application technique I applied a translucent layer of white then blended in purple eyeshadow to it to create a slight gradient from the inside of my face to the outside. Then using purple jewels I recreated a cluster of lavender leaves on my face. I then tried to use the gems to create the stalk however this made the image unclear so using eyeliner I drew the stalk. I liked the overall simplicity of this look however the left side of my face looked to empty so I created another lavender plant and had this one higher up and leaning in. I did this to create the effect of them leaning towards the sun as well as it nice framing my face. My inspiration for using lavender comes from their qualities as a natural remedy whether that their ‘antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to heal minor burns and bug bites.’ or what I primarily use them for, treating insomnia and restlessness. These stresses have become more apparent throughout quarantine so I though it fitting to make them the theme of my make up look. From my Better Lives lectures and personal research I am going to try to continue making and not throwing away old garments along with not shopping from unethical companies. Having parents who are also in the creative industry and being raised in a household that promoted and believed in sustainability within the arts and everyday life has helped me be a more responsible practitioner.