Final Project and self development

For my personal choice of project in this unit, I decided to do ‘Messaging Fashion.’ To briefly explain, its goal was for us as a students to learn how to produce an effective collaborative campaign with a charity that was true to the brand, from a PR standpoint. In coherence with the Better Lives unit, I picked the brand ‘Patta.’ It is a black owned urban brand from Amsterdam, that is targeted to a young diverse audience. Our choice of charity was Patta’s own foundation, who’s purpose is to fund and back the youngs who want to pursue a career in the sports, music, fashion, culture entrepreneurship and social consciousness. We believed there was no other charity that could encapsule and be more true to the brands own values, than their own foundation itself. My choice was greatly influenced by the themes being taught in this unit and this is a brand that celebrates and supports diversity and inclusivity. It’s incredibly satisfying to learn about brands that do put a big spotlight on such important topics. 

Due to Covid-19’s tremendous impact in our daily lives, the Messaging Fashion project drastically changed and so did our approach. The initial idea went from creating a campaign that would send a percentage of proceeds to the brand’s foundation, to drifting the project towards a plan that would also respond to the current pandemic and its effects, while shifting all events and in store activities to online. This was an opportunity to also bring together a much broader community together during this very difficult time. 

I believe this unit and the project have helped me in various ways very positively. Working in groups with people from different deductions, backgrounds and with the same interest in Fashion, is always a great experience to learn something from. My take on this project was really, reinforcing my already existing opinions on the different Better Lives themes, with a better understanding of what these mean and how important they are for us as an always improving society.