Blog Post 4: Peer Review

As far as this review is concerned, I have decided to comment the blog post that caught my attention the most: Blog post 2- Creative Practice Reflection by Chisun An. It moved me with its sincere but at the same time open-minded approach to the issues at stake. The fact that author begins her essay stating that she has never considered the themes of sustainability, diversity and social responsibility before, seems to me extremely brave. Additionally, I respect the statement that the author decided to keep some of the previous opinions they had before the Better Lives unit.

When it comes to considering particular reflections that are posted in the refered blog, I do agree with the writer’s approach towards the theme of sustainability. The author claims that “until fashion stays there as an extravagance, sustainability problem will not be gone, if the problem gets solved, still there will be lots of new side effects occur by that”. It is different than what I wrote in my blog post 2, where I have reflected on how the theme of sustainability have changed my perspective on it and might have influenced my own future. Meanwhile Chisun An’s reflections shed a light on a wider spectrum, which is what I did not consider in my blog. It made me think that, the relation between fashion industry and pro-ecological movement is not just black and white, there are further aspects to this. Such as, the law of supply and demand, that my peer describes.

Chisun An also reflects on the theme of diversity, which I believe to be more reliable than my own reflections, it is simply because I have never faced any racist comments towards myself, that makes me less experienced. It might have been difficult for this writer to move in to country, which is inhabited mostly by white people. I fully agree with the opinions stated in the blog, that we all should try our best fighting with discrimination on every part. Again there is an interesting thought written in the blog, about Asians and disabled people in fashion industry, that are said to be “standing in the shadow and need the light to light them”. The author’s perspective on this issue is really inspiring and leaves the reader with some hope for better future.

On the other hand, I did not find any further reflections on social responsibility in this blog. Which makes me think that, this person might see the correlation between those three themes that makes them inseparable. To be clear, I also am convinced that there is a bond between sustainability, diversity and social responsibility. I believe we both agree that, social responsibility is the clue for proper understanding both other themes.