Blog Post 3 (Project Outcomes)

Research and concept building using the themes of better lives along with the concepts of the fashion mistake, imperfections, contouring and colour theory that we covered resulted in very different experimentation outcomes. Narrowing the end of the project the tasks given to us became more abstract and helped us to really explore how we can create a striking look with a strong concept. One of our last exercises was creating two looks using materials found at home. Makeup could be used but primarily it was to utilise other objects to create shape, meaning and interesting looks. Items such a cling film, tape, paper clips, flowers, foil and beads were amongst the items I considered during some brainstorming. One look was to represent the fashion mistake and the other was imperfection. For my first look I played around with cling film and tape to place them where you would typically contour. The shine on the cling film represents a super glossy, highlight look. A trend that is very popular nowadays is an extremely shimmery and highlighted face. The tape created shape as well as holding the cling film in place. I put it in the hollows of my cheek were a contour colour would typically be placed and thought it would create nice shape. For my second look I decided to stick coffee beans on my face in place of beads which I didn’t have at home. The look of beads and jewels stuck on the face is something others played around with and it also featured in some of the pictures of inspiration that were shown to us as examples. I thought behind the coffee beans could also reflect a coffee obsession. I drink at least two a day and especially with this global pandemic I think everyones sleep schedules are out of sync. There is a lot of stress and anxiety playing on peoples minds and I’ve definitely felt like I need a coffee pick me up during the day to focus on my work. I think with the themes of this unit, we can comment on issues such as pollution, ocean plastic, landfills, air pollution, covid-19 gender inequality and other social issues and represent them within symbolic items, writing and and styling. We have a padlet page where everyone uploads their looks to and I thought it was amazing to see everyone’s work as we all had completely different takes on the tasks. Some students were so creative with someone placing forget-me-not flowers on her lips (which I thought was very symbolic). Another student created a look called ‘quarantine queen’ which I thought was amazing. She used cleaning products like a Dettol bottle, toilet paper, masks and canned goods along with tiara. I thought this was such an imaginative and brilliant concept carried out beautifully. Even the way she took her pictures was so strong. A very tongue in cheek way to showcase societies intense reaction to this global pandemic as a fashion story.