BLOG POST 2 – BETTER LIVES THEMES REFLECTION

In blog post 2 we are asked to reflect on the Better Lives themes and how it will change how we work in the future. The three Better Lives themes are Sustainability, Diversity, and Social Responsibility. These themes have grown in popularity and importance over the years and not just in the fashion industry. As a Fashion PR and Communications student, I need to be mindful and consider these themes when working in the industry. London College of Fashion and Better Lives has given me an important insight into why it’s so important that the fashion industry needs to be more ethical.  

Therefore it’s my responsibility as an LCF student to always consider these themes in my careers and creative work. It’s important we consistently question how the system works in fashion. Questioning how ethical it is and how it can be improved. For example, consumers need to be more aware of how their clothes are being made and how sustainable the materials are. We need to communicate these to them instead of hiding the truth.

There needs to be more diversity within the industry whether that be casting or the CEO of companies there needs to be more of a range than just white males. There should be a representation for all types of people whether that be someone with a disability or different skin color. It is important consumers can see themselves. As a communication student in the future, I want to consider whether the brand or designer I’m working for is diverse and if everyone is represented. I have the choice to choose who I want to work with. It’s important to work with people that share these similar values that we are taught at LCF.  

These three themes have allowed me to reflect on the positive and negatives of the industry. It has brought awareness to me which brands care about the world and those who just care about creating revenue. I think what’s an important aspect to take from this unit is how important it is to educate and spread the word about these issues. Its important people have awareness instead of being ignorant. Especially with global warming and global devastation it’s important we constantly strive to reverse the damage before it’s too late. Also, as a consumer, these themes question my shopping habits. In the future, I’m going to try to only support brands I feel show promise of social responsibility.  

In conclusion, as a communication student, I want to make sure that fashion brands are consistently being ethical and transparent to their consumers and the media. I want to work toward a better future where everyone feels represented. As the name suggests Better Lives is all about improving life whether that be saving nature or giving people opportunities it’s important, we work together on these themes.