Blog 4: Peer review

by Iris Choi

After reading some of the reflection from other students, I decided to review on Maja Majchrzak blog.

Maja is a student from Styling and Production and her project in Better Lives is Make Up Break Down. As I am in the sportwear styling project. I can tell how much makeup could affect the vibe the outfit brings out. The title “ Make Up Break down” attracted me. Maja explained it is not only about basics makeup which fits the majority of beauty standard. It is about creating the look with a lot of creativity and imagination from scratch.

Maja final outcome of the project is to create a look based on the theme she decided which is ‘Imperfection’. I like that she was inspired by her own personal experience. She included her story of building her confidence and rip of the tag that the society gave her. Such as ‘bad skin’ and ‘bushy eyebrows. It is true that everyone are desired to look perfect and scared to be judged. In her final look, she put colorful patches on the skin to present the beauty she found in a kind of skin condition—vitiligo. It is known that there are some celebrity have vitiligo such as South African actress Leleti Khumalo, model Winnie Harlow and Enam Heikeens Honya.

After reading her blog, I feel positive towards vitiligo and any skin imperfection. I believed that no one is perfect and everyone has their own beauty. We should embrace the diversity in the society. Beauty does not have a standard. More personal characteristics makes the world more beautiful and interesting. It is worth to explore more types of beauty.

As a Creative Direction student, I think it is my responsibility to send the message of being inclusive are important to pursue a better lives. And show people that it is not ashamed to be yourself and to take pride in. I hope to create a series of editorial named ‘beauty standard’. From my point of view, anyone could be the beauty standard if they are confidence and have a kind heart. Beauty for me, it is not only about the appearance, it is important of the soul and mind. I will invite different race, gender, class etc.. people to come into my camera and tell us their story. I hope to give out positive energy.