Blog 3:Project outcomes and personal development reflection

by Iris Choi

I am in the project of sportwear fashion language and sub-cultures scheme of work and resources. In the masterclass, we were given a lot of knowledge of sportwear history and how the place of it changes in people’s life through times.

In one of the masterclass, we were asked to discus in groups and pick a cultures to reflect on. In my group, we picked punk as our focused culture. We draw a mind map include all the key words that we could think of about punk. For examples, 1970’s, hip hop, Green Day, ripped jeans, black flag, seditionaries and heavy mental etc.. We shared our own feeling towards punk culture and discussed about how it may affect the popularity of the sportwear trend. In my opinion, I think that punk culture represent fearless and breaking the rules. It is so cool and attractive for young people. And it is like sportwear. From Boomers to the middle  of Gen Y, sportwear are only allowed to wear during exercising stick to the rule. Somehow I think that the appearance of punk culture encouraged people to wear what they want in daily life.

In another master class, we were asked to create two full body styled sport wear looks with our groupmates using the garments and cosmetic we brought. We created 5 looks in total. We mix and match pieces of sportwear with some formal garments such as a suit. In that look we also styled a sweat short outside a jumpsuit. We stuffed in some fabric inside the garments such as a jogger pants. We deconstructed the sportwear body in order to make changes to the silhouettes and shapes. We followed one rule to create cohesive looks is by using colors. Using contrast colors or approximate color. In the aspect of styling, matching contrast colors garments brings out a more bold, eye catching vibe. In opposite, style with similar color brings out a vibe of harmony.

In this project, I was inspired by the class. I think that sportwear can be formal and interesting after styled. Our tutor encouraged us a lot to be brave to create quirky shape of the outfit which open my mind. The effect and result it brought was surprisingly good. The silhouette we created are beautiful in my point of view. And in the process, it was fun to work with my groupmate and experiment with all our crazy ideas. Even though we did not plan so much before we do this quick photoshoot. We almost do it freestyle, putting garments on which seem not so cohesive and putting accessorize and face paint on face. This project taught me that do not be scared to implement ideas that I think it is crazy as a creative director.