BLOG 2: Themes reflection task

Better lives has three themes that should be incorporated into everyone’s life. All three themes seem to be linked to one another; this will make it easier to incorporate your work, as if you include just one, it will be easier to join the other two. 

For me, diversity is one of the biggest themes. Since I was 14, I have lived in 4 different cities (Madrid, London, New York and Los Angeles). The variety in these cities is enormous; you can find people from any age, size, colour, religion and even every possible gender but yet, they are in no way represented in the media especially in my home country of Spain. As a fashion photography student, I want to be able to change that. There has been a lot of changes in the media in recent years, but we are not even close to what it should be like. In my projects, I want to incorporate more of street casting, showing to the world people that they see in their everyday life because I believe that’s what it should be. Street casting and taking pictures of a diverse group of people; it is allowing younger generations to make sure they feel okay with who they are and that they shouldn’t change what they look like for what the fashion and beauty industry feel like its the standard.  I want to work with brands and magazines that are working towards a change in this field too.

Social responsibility is vital at this moment in time. T can include various aspects. The fashion industry has been under fire for many years for the way models have been treated. People have to be conscious of the working environment and making it a safe place for them to be able to work. Part of my job as a photographer is making sure that the models know what is going to happen at all times; making sure she feels safe and well. 

As part of social responsibility, it also comes sustainability. Sustainability might be one of the most talked topics in the industry at the moment. We live in a world that cannot look too far into the future without seeing a black hole. A big part of climate change has to do with fast fashion and how much waste we make. In my practising, I want to work with brands that do work sustainably but also; they don’t take part in the fast fashion industry. 

Better lives is helping me understand that there is so much more I can do with my art form than take pretty pictures or even a good photographer. You can make a change in the future of peoples lives, and you can impact them in a greater way.