1) Reflection on lectures and Better Lives themes

Starting this Better Lives unit, I was prepared to be surprised with new information and insights regarding the topics of Diversity, Sustainability and Social Responsibility. The two-week long lecture series succeeded in that aspect and encouraged me to think differently and more introspectively.

The main question for my first blog post is if and how fashion can create better lives. While that topic is very broad, I was able to decipher an answer based on my findings from the lectures I attended. Most importantly, the lecture about inclusion and inclusive fashion really challenged my thinking and introduced a topic that I have rarely dealt with before.

Inclusive fashion defines certain clothing that uses special garment technology with various health conditions and disabilities in mind. Lecturer Laura Salisbury gave an example of people who have suffered a stroke or who have Parkinson’s disease who might need specialised clothes that are still often exempt from the mainstream fashion market. Salisbury also identifies three different approaches to inclusive design: it has to be user centred, population aware and business focused. This made me aware of the fact that inclusive design is a whole functioning and global business within the fashion and garment industry.

Another argument which made me question my previous knowledge on fashion market strategies is that most products are targeted at ‘the average consumer’ which in most cases is the profile of a “white middle-aged male with a salary above 100,000 pounds”. I wondered how most global industries could possibly exclude the majority of the population who differ in age, gender, ability and socio-economic background and focus on a target group so narrow and already privileged.

Subsequently, a way that fashion can create better lives is by making sure that the outer circle of the ‘extreme user circle’ is acknowledged, considered and cared for. Further, the fashion industry should make an effort to talk to ‘real’ people who do not fit the target consumer profile. These people can talk about their first-hand experience of living with a disability and the lack of inclusive clothing they are offered.

I learned that disabilities can come in the smallest forms such as having a bad back from carrying a laptop bag for work. In this case, fashion technology can aim to improve people’s lives by working on efficient and non-harmful items of clothing and accessories to ease people’s problems.

Going forward I want to take part in the fashion industry’s duty to incorporate inclusive design and technology so that disabled people can not only comfortably wear clothing but actually enjoy the art and inspiration behind fashion.