BLOG POST: BETTER LIVES UNIT WEEK 1:FASHION AND POWER

The first better lives lecture I have taken was on a subject of power and fashion. How both link with one another, on their historical backgrounds and finally the sub topics of power in link with media, consumer, money and more. I enjoyed the structure of the lecture, it smoothly transitioned from one topic into another and honestly the idea was projected very interestingly. Although I enjoyed all the sub topics of fashion in relation to different aspects in the human world one caught my eye specifically.

Lecturer Julia Crew has started the lecture with a subject of politics and what has caught my attention the most is her example of  Nelson Mandela, a South African political leader as he often wore colourful clothing in order to portray his cultural backgrounds. 

A close up of a person

Description automatically generated

Moreover, the image depicted on the right side (Clothing Designer’s ‘Incredible Journey’ with Nelson Mandela, 2020) shows Mandela wearing a silk shirt with gold, black and orange palettes in presence, along with the floral embroidery. Gold in African culture represents wealth, high status and spirituality, black represents maturity and energy when orange symbolises vitality. (Clothing Designer’s ‘Incredible Journey’ with Nelson Mandela, 2020)Therefore, those aspects of wealth, spirituality and status build into the perspectives of how by the observation of fashion in a specific figure visually, could build up a certain opinion or a prejudice about that individual. Fascinated and mind blown by the fact of how someone overall image could generate and influence and actions from a specific person or a group. 

The power of image- an aspect that influenced my way of thinking the most and reminded me of what it can be. It is known though years the hierarchy has continued to grow bigger within the societies, each century had different aspects in which higher influential figures had more rights middle and working class as an example of royalties wearing glorious and colourful garments whereas, peasants by law were allowed to wear plain practical clothing. Those were mentioned in one of the cultural historical lectures where we further opened up the idea of power in fashion on a historical side. There I came to a realisation of how fashion could somewhat massively influence the actual cycle of human lifestyle since the early times and have reminded me of how powerful the fashion industry was and would always be.

Finally, another personal reason for how it influenced my way of thinking leans towards human morals. My parents always taught me to understand my privileges, they have shown me the world beyond my vision and “horizon” and most importantly told me not to judge anyone. This specific lecture has brought back scenarios of my adolescence and of how hierarchy, appearance and high society is so tightly bubbled together that had me left with negative feelings which I do not want to wish to experience again therefore, for better our better lives, in future as a co-worker, leader or a member of the society I want to only practice and teach fair treatment, voice and coexistence.

Bibliography:

Voice of America. 2020. Clothing Designer’S ‘Incredible Journey’ With Nelson Mandela. [online] Available at: <https://www.voanews.com/africa/clothing-designers-incredible-journey-nelson-mandela> [Accessed 1 April 2020].

Themes, U., 2020. West African Cloth: What Do The Colours Really Mean? | Empire Textiles Blog. [online] Empire Textiles Blog. Available at: <https://www.empiretextiles.com/blog/portfolio/west-african-cloth-what-do-the-colours-really-mean/> [Accessed 1 April 2020].