Blog Post 2 – Better Lives Themes

The 3 main better lives themes we have covered in Fashion Activism are Sustainability, Diversity, and Social Responsibility. I have greatly enjoyed learning more about these 3 key themes and going about incorporating them into my daily life. Being sustainable has been far easier in the wake of COVID-19, as I am no longer spending a lot of money on public transport, or fast-fashion. I have never really been one to purchase lots of clothing, to tell you the truth, but this crisis has made me reconsider how much clothing I need. Textiles account for 34.8% of global micro-plastic pollution, which is not a good look for the fashion industry. 

Without trying to come across as ‘preachy’, sustainability seems to be the latest buzzword within the fashion industry. No brand is truly sustainable, no matter how believable their marketing may seem. Brands that fall under H&M group ownership, such as COS or Arket, focus a lot of their marketing on being ‘sustainable’ and ‘cruelty-free’. Having previously worked at Arket, their ‘chrome-free tanned leather’ and ‘recycling guarantees’ fall by the wayside once you realise the sheer volume of plastic and cardboard waste from daily orders and the fact that no one really contributes to the recycling bin by the tills. A real shame, but no surprise, as that is, unfortunately, the way of high-street chains nowadays (This is not a blight on Arket or COS, I frequent both shops regularly, but trying to sell products based on a half-truth doesn’t sit right with me).

In order to further discuss the themes of Sustainability and Social responsibility, I must first introduce you to my favourite brand, Noah. Noah is a streetwear/prep brand founded in 2015, By Brendon Babenzien, former creative director of Supreme. I’ve always been eco-conscious, so to hear of a startup that was tackling environmental issues around sustainability head-on was like a breath of fresh air. Noah continues to support those in need, raising funds through special edition tees, where all profit was donated to charities. (E.G Australia in the wake of the 2020 bushfires, or the USA after Hurricane Irma in 2017). Noah gained wider recognition in 2018 when they launched a campaign titled “We are not a sustainable brand” – holding the mirror up to the false pretenses of ‘sustainability’ in fashion. The tone of the message was just right – Babenzien and Noah weren’t trying to hold the rest of the industry to account, they were looking at the environmental issues facing fashion in a fair and ethical manner – hell, they even admitted to being culprits themselves.

“Fashion has become one of the most resource-intensive (both natural and human) industries on earth, and its complex, global supply chain has far-reaching effects that are almost impossible to quantify. It produces stupefying amounts of waste on both sides of the producer/consumer divide.”

Quotes such as the above really resonate with me – we need to start thinking about what we consume, and how we consume it, to make meaningful change. Better Lives has taught me to not just read about these key issues, but start adapting my lifestyle towards one more sustainable, diverse, and socially responsible.

References:

https://noahny.com/blogs/news/we-are-not-a-sustainable-company