Blog Post 1: Lecture Reflection

While some would say that art and science are two completely contrasting forms of expression, psychologist Dr. Jekaterina Rogaten says otherwise. In her lecture on Well Being, Jekaterina proves through various theories, that fashion and psychology relate to each other in more ways than one. By explaining how psychology plays a role in different areas of fashion, and how consumers and industry professionals experience well-being in different ways, she shines light on important issues within the fashion industry and explains how we, the future of the industry, can make things better. 

After watching several lectures, this one caught my attention not only because it was incredibly informative, but also because it was fascinating to hear about how fashion affects our daily mood and motivations. We have known for a long time that fashion is one of the biggest forms of self-expression, and that the way we feel on the outside affects how we feel on the inside, but why is that? According to Rogaten, it has to do with several things, one of them being a concept called positive psychology. Positive psychology is the study of the aspects that contribute to one’s happiness. Some of these aspects are the realization that we are responsible for our own happiness, a positive environment, and social relationships. Surprisingly, another element that contributes to both our happiness and stress is choice. While choice is seemingly something that everyone strives to have, Rogaten explains that it can also have a negative effect. That’s where the concept of paradox of choice comes in. Without realizing, doing small things like picking out an outfit or choosing what to buy causes us stress that over time might cause repreccutions to our well being and mental health. This was interesting to explore because it opened my eyes to the fact that as a consumer, this paradox, in addition to the constant hedonic treadmill cycle, is the reason I am affected so much by fashion. By not being able to make a choice, I continuously fill that gap with the need to find other options, that would make me happy. Without realizing, I have been contributing to the issue of consumerism and several other sustainability issues, which I am now very much aware of.  

By explaining the different types of well being, Dr. Rogaten has also helped me realize that in order to succeed in the fashion business, I have to consider all different views and aspects of both the Hedonic and Eudaimonic well being. By creating a balance between the superficial and psychological, and a web of support, trust, and loyalty, I will be able to contribute to the happiness of both my colleagues and my customer base. Like the quote in the presentation stated, “Clothing affects the mind” (Bernard, 2012: Vogue), and my goal is to make sure that it affects it only in the best ways.