Blog 4: Peer Review

I chose Maciej Knas’s blogpost in which he reflects about the themes explored during  the Better Lives Unit. I enjoyed his blog post because he examines his preexisting relationship with the themes that have been discusses during the course of the unit. He has always been aware of the issues and had some sort of general idea of its implications. I suspect that this is similar to many of the other students experiences. He looks at how the unit has not only brought more knowledge and awareness around issues such as sustainability, diversity and inclusivity but most importantly how we are able to incorporate them into our practice while we are students but also in our professional careers. Being aware of the issues we face is a starting point, however finding out how we can minimize these and how we can incorporate it into our work is another thing and this is something that the unit seeks to teach us and that Maciej has appreciated and so have I.

I also enjoyed the way in which Maciej shows his thought process and his true engagement with the topics covered as he really focuses on how he can use his image making to bring by a positive change for everyone. A realization that shows he has truly understood the messages that we have been discovering throughout this unit. His assertion that ‘the future relies on conscious individuals’ is something that I profoundly believe in, as we as individuals yield a lot more power than we are made to believe and we cannot shy away from our power to be a positive force for change. The future of the industry is in our hands and we need to be more open minded and forward thinking to make sure that it is an industry that we can feel proud off and that focuses on limiting its negative impacts while amplifying its positive impact on society.