BLOG 4 Peer Review

I had read a blog of lecture reflection written by Xinran Meng. I really like this blog that Xinran Meng posted. I totally understood what are you trying to express, and also agree with the point of the person who has power can change fashion trend and affects the fashion field. 

I believe that you said the people who got money and power can pursue fashion, and they can buy more fashion products than poor people in the past. However, I think there are still different classes in modern society but this extreme situation as you say is gradually decreasing. In modern society, people often come into contact with many fashion media, including mobile phones, TV, and radio. These electronic media use advertisements to promote fashion all the time, and through these advertisements, the most popular fashion trends are quickly spread. Fashion brands use this method to give everyone in the city the opportunity to pursue fashion.

“Diversity” the word I learned in the Better Lives unit. Fashion is not only expensive. In shopping malls, there are not only luxury fashion brands but also have cheap fast fashion brands, such as H&M and Topshop. The combination of different price stores in a mall is to serve customers with different needs and customers with different consumption capabilities, so I think fashion is diversified. It is not only reflected in the price tag but also reflected in the clothing. Most of the clothing uses fibre or some natural materials as fabrics now, and the price is only reflected in the workmanship. On the other hand, due to the rough workmanship of a small number of fast fashion brands, which reduces the durability of clothes, it greatly increases waste and hinders sustainable development.

Finally, I don’t agree with your understanding of power in the blog. I think some popular online celebrities can have an impact on the fashion field, such as Kim Kardashian. But the example in your blog is a tik-tok celebrity in China. For me, he is just a salesperson. He can only benefit himself through live streaming and advertising instead of fashion. I think power refers to the ability of designers. The work of fashion designers has a great say in the fashion industry. They use design to change fashion trends and fashion fields.

The opinions in your blog are very attractive to me and bring me very few ideas, we can have a depth discussion in the future.