Blog 3: Personal Outcomes

I was lucky to be able to choose ‘Make-up Break Down’ as my project as I knew it would be an amazing addition to my skills as a fashion styling student. In addition to this, make-up is a passion of mine outside my studies. Even simply from attending the lessons and watching the teachers’ presentations, I was inspired and was able to foresee how I could incorporate some of the looks into my future stylings.

When starting the project, I didn’t have any particular ideas as to what my final outcome would look like, I was just having fun being experimental. It was the lesson on contouring that I connected with the most. We were taught how to highlight and shade the face using technical knowledge that was explained really in depth, with expert information on the colour theory. After I’d created the look from that session, it reminded me of a geometric style which I decided to research further. I also liked how the face was shaped and broken up into different sections which gave a mannequin-like impression. I played around with the prominent features, such as the cheekbones and jawlines, to make the contrast between light and shade even bolder. With social responsibility and diversity in my mind, this lesson showed me that it is important to be able to embrace your features and the features of others. With an increase in representation, people would become more accustomed to the variety in faces shapes, sizes of features as well as colours (of eyes and skin tones), meaning it is easier to accept your own and others’ individuality. Therefore, diversity is especially important.

In the meantime, lockdown was enforced, and we continued our sessions online. I started experimenting on myself with limited resources which actually pushed my creativity and created some interesting 3D looks. This benefited the sustainability of my project, by reusing and recycling materials including paper and beads that I already owned. Other topics we were exploring were called ‘fashion imperfection’ and ‘fashion mistake’. These helped me to analyse my work and the work of others beyond just aesthetics, and rather composed my interpretations of stories for each image. A skill to improve my ability as a stylist, as well as a make-up enthusiast.

In such a pandemic, we are all socially responsible to look out for each other by staying home, subsequently the theme has never been more urgent. As a result, the look I created was structured because my previous work focused a lot on contrast, so I wanted the structure to conflict the current situation. Whereas prior to, many of us had a set routine in our lives (for example with work or education), and now that structure has been disturbed. I used white eyeliner to construct this by outlining the main bones of the face. Likewise, I attached some string to the opposing side which demonstrated the home element well.

The entire experience broadened my perspective greatly and I am confident I will transfer these skills to all future projects, as well as to general daily inspiration.