Blog 2: Themes Reflection

Having watched all the lectures, and started my Better Lives project, I already have a deeper understanding of the unit’s themes. The words ‘diversity, social responsibility and sustainability’ seem to be linked in their meaning and interpretation and I feel that I can put them all into perspective with any future personal outcomes, as well as past. Previously I’ve been aware of these three terms, but I looked at them in a light unrelated to fashion, and my creativity tended to be separate from what I knew about current issues in society. Only since coming to London College of Fashion have I realised the real importance of the themes and the mass impact they have on all areas of life, especially within the fashion industry.

Diversity is the theme I hold closest to me as a mixed-race girl who has grown up in a small and well-off town, where being a person of colour is rare. It wasn’t until about three years ago that I realised there was a great lack of representation within the media as it was mostly white celebrities that I could name (of course race being only one of the many factors that contribute to full diversity). Fast-forward to today and there have been significant developments in ethnic diversity within such a short amount of time and I believe social media has allowed for more opportunities to create this awareness. It is important that we notice these positives. However, there is still a long way to go to ensure true diversity, to create a society where people of all genders, races, sexual orientations, abilities (and more) are represented equally. It should be ordinary for every single person on the planet to see themselves similar to someone who is broadcasted in the media in any kind of way.

Lifestyles without sustainability leave no room for life at the end of the day. The urge for it has never been greater and it is clear that survival relies on this change. From my new knowledge on this topic, what stood out for me the most was the variety of ways sustainability was possible. The fashion industry is one of the worst polluters, so it is important to get to the root of the problem by adapting materials and equipment to more environmentally friendly versions. However, for those not involved in the previous process, there are still so many solutions that are less complex. As a stylist, I am able to be more conscious about the resources that I buy (whether it’s clothes or materials for a shoot). This also applies for anyone purchasing anything.

Social responsibility is relevant to almost anything and there is an aspect of unity about it. Individually everyone holds responsibility that, when put together, creates a greater impact on the topic. This may be the duty to be sustainable for our planet, or the obligation to be inclusive for the well being of everyone. For even the most opposite of people, social responsibility is a common ground.