Blog Post 2: Themes Reflection

Thankfully, because of social media, sustainability, diversity, and social responsibility have become some of the most talked-about topics in the world. People are slowly realizing that in order for us to survive on earth, we have to come together as a community, accept our differences, and start taking care of each other and the environment. But these issues haven’t just impacted our everyday lives, but have significantly changed the fashion industry for the better. Today, consumers are expecting brands to be completely transparent and don’t support the ones that don’t align with these morals. And while in the beginning, I wasn’t sure about how I would feel about this unit, I have learned a tremendous amount and have been influenced to see the fashion world from a different perspective. 

While I knew that the fashion industry was always struggling with these issues, especially with sustainability and diversity, I have recently noticed that things are taking a turn for the better. Personally, as a fashion PR student, it was fascinating to see and hear the different perspectives of the lecturers. Hearing their ideas has helped me create an image of what I want to see happen in the future, not only for this industry but also for me. While I try my best to incorporate and focus on these central themes daily, after hearing the lectures, I realized that I could put even more work into educating myself and others on these topics. I think that after growing up surrounded by a very diverse community, and spending my life studying alongside a wide range of people coming from different parts of the world, I forgot that not everyone comes from such a unique background. I was spoiled with the ability to explore and learn many cultures and see how much our actions are impacting the environment, and started taking certain things for granted. So after learning so much during the Better Lives unit, a personal goal of mine is to start putting in more effort into being more socially conscious and to share the same morals with the people in my surroundings.

And while I have learned a lot about myself and my personal goals, I have also learned a lot about how I want to incorporate these important topics into my future professional life as well. Studying and working in fashion PR, means that I will get to interact with diverse people and business, but in order for me to succeed in my endeavors, and be happy with the work I plan on doing, I have to make sure that I only work with clients I respect. Working with brands that have ethical production and respect their workers, and do everything they can to be socially conscious is important. And while making a morally correct choice is sometimes harder than it seems, I now know for myself that I can make that choice, and create a better life for myself and others.