Blog Post 4-Peer Review

After reading Lucie De Roeck blog three posts, who is studying the sportswear fashion language and subcultures styling, I believe she interpreted the better lives theme sustainability well. In her blog, she talked about the masterclass, which they were asked to bring the unwanted garment to cut into and change to the new design. They will use the cloth many times and create different design and look. In our daily life, people always think the garment only have one way to wear it. But styling can help to create distinct possibility by only using one garment, such as to cut into different shape and position. Or combine various clothes into one garment. By using the redesign process, the cloth can become sustainable and will not become wasteful. Furthermore, after the redesign, the item will become unique and outstanding.

I agreed with your point “The styling of a piece of clothing sets a whole new identity of situation and origin.” It illustrates the theme of sustainability using redesign to turn it into a new garment.

I am a fashion styling and production student, in our classes or technique workshops, we are taught using different materials and tools to create items. For example, in a master class, the teacher told us to go to the market and look for different materials to make styling. And our group used paper boxes, unused clothes, abandoned fruits and other waste to make styling and create different looks. Furthermore, this is a fantastic experience because we all used unwanted materials to make fashionable styling. Disposable bags and water bottles could be used as a backdrop for photography. If done well, it can enhance the beauty of the whole garment and attract more customers. As a result, people can know the importance of reuse and redesign and its boundless possibilities to create unique cloth.

Many famous designers design clothes by combining different materials, so I think as styling, we can create our design by using second-hand materials, which can also be fashionable and contribute to the environment at the same time. In conclusion, I believe you exhibited your excellent understanding of the better lives theme- sustainability in the blog.