Blog post 2

Going through the Better Lives course I had the possibility to engage with the sustainability, diversity and social responsibility themes and reflect on how these topics can change the way I will work in the future.

Firstly, this project gave me the possibility to expand the knowledge of sustainability which I have previously acquired during the Fashion styling and production course.

Being aware of the situation in which we currently are where 75% of clothes are left in landfill make me reflect on how fast fashion is destroying our world. Being conscious  of this reality is making me change the way I made decision, not only as a fashion consumer making me more responsible when it comes to make a purchase, but it will certainly affect the way I  will work in the future, as I am now aware of this issue and I know I will give my contribute to find a solution for this issue. 

Being a Fashion stylist means to collaborate with other and having the possibility to transmit a message through  Fashion, in  the future I would like to sensitize the sustainability theme through my work, in order to do this it will important to show to the consumer the reality behind fashion and raise awareness of the issue of overconsumption. In order to give my contribute to solve this issue, I would certainly love to collaborate with alternative brand that already work in a such sustainable way, and besides my working path, when it comes to purchase clothes I will do it perhaps from vintage shop rather than buying something new, making possible to dictate trend through old clothes.

Alongside with the sustainability issue one aspect I would like to highlight in this blog is another topic discussed during Better Lives course, the Diversity in Fashion. In fact, Fashion should mean inclusiveness and should reflect our multicultural society but most of the times seems to dictate stereotype of beauty, discriminating people with few extra pounds or different color skin.

During my course of study, more precisely, in my previous exams I ‘ve not been using models for my shooting instead I have decided to style friends and everyday people that surrounded me.

For this reason, I’m looking to continue integrating everyday people in the future work, in addition I would like to expand and transform the model casting which is predominated by a Western European stereotype to a more multi-cultural one, including people with different skin tones. Moreover I would like to show a majority of people with different kind of body, avoiding examples of anorexia to be followed and I will  integrate older people. I have plan to do what just mentioned to avoid any kind of discrimination and stereotype existing in the fashion, making possible for all the consumer to feel integrated and accepted in the world of fashion.

1 Comment