Blog 3-Project Outcome Reflection

My chosen project for this unit “Better Lives” is fashion journalism. In this project, we need to write a feature on the better lives subject, including quotes from the lecture series and secondary sources. I have gained extensive knowledge of the theme.

After the lecture “Diversity” by Nick and Sheldon, I have acquired relevant knowledge. There is an “Equality Act 2010” to avoid discrimination in the workplace and other inequality, such as gender equality, disability, and race inclusion, etc. Diversity should be a necessary foundation for the fashion industry. “Fashion is trying, but it needs to be inclusive behind the scenes.” As a result, it inspired me to learn more about accessible inclusion designs.

I think the designer should not only consider the majority of people needs, but they should also take into account those who have special needs. They should ensure that all people are satisfied and no one is ignored. Hence, accessible inclusion designs safeguard the needs of the disabled community. We need to adopt a different perspective to think about design, such as conducting a survey to get a deeper understanding of society, economy, cultures, and politics. Furthermore, I realized that technology is also essential when formulating an accessible design. For instance, technology can help to survey different customers’ needs, and the variety of computer programmes would make the design a reality.

How to create an inclusive design? We should have a diverse team because we can get a variety of perspectives. A diverse team need to have people from different background, age, and genders in order to generate different ideas. Only with the inputs of diverse ideas, can a design be inclusive.

My viewpoints have shifted after this project. Previously, I only consider most people needs but overlooking the unique needs of a less predominant group. Now, I know we should consider all people’s needs, taking disability, culture, age, economic, sex, etc. into consideration.  Through the peer reviews, I learn a lot about how we should consider the better lives theme; sustainability, diversity and social responsibility in order to make a thoughtful design.

Reference

Csincsak, Fanni. “All Together Now – An Overview of Inclusive Design.” Toptal Design Blog, Toptal, 16 Jan. 2020, www.toptal.com/designers/ux/inclusive-design.