Project Outcome reflection by Matthew Higby

Choosing the pathway of Critical Design was very exciting. Looking at a brief that caused us to look at what the near future would look like caused me to reflect on the disaster that I personally went through in 2017. Being at my parents’ home in Ventura, California for the extent of the COVID-19 pandemic has caused me to realise what I have taken for granted, shelter. Ventura has not been immune to disasters, in 2017 we faced the largest fire in California’s history leading to the 2018 Southern California mudflows. Not only did my neighbors, friends and acquaintances lose their home but lost a sense of security. Personally, my family and I were only affected by the evacuation orders which possibly saved our lives. My family and I were fortunate enough to have family friends who lived at a safe distance where we could evacuate to. We were in the comfort of each other and at a home filled with love. This was not the case for many. The local fairground was turned into a shelter by the American Red Cross which cared for evacuated people and animals. If it was not for these places, people would be faced with sleeping in their car if they have one, sleeping on the street or remain in unsafe conditions. To convey my emotion through my short video I incorporated imagery of neighbor’s and familiar homes that were brought to the ground by the Thomas Fire. Supplies of first aid kits, hot meals, blankets, sleeping cots, purified drinking water, toiletries, etc. must be available as well as having access to electricity via generators, etc. and use different technologies to address transport, power, insulation, and water needs. Effective disaster relief is once again at the forefront of the world’s consciousness and temporary shelters are a key part of the recovery process (Inhabitat, 2013). I found that I wanted my video to be focused on bringing wider attention to the necessity of deployable shelters in times of emergency relief. There are many of these prototypes coming into effect currently which I wanted to showcase. Many people live in areas common for natural disasters. When a disaster wipes out entire towns, a structure that was not affected by the disaster needs to be readily available. Being in an emergency relief shelter should feel as comfortable and close to home as it can be. Very well known in the age of COVID-19 is the term “new normal.” Deployable shelters will help ease you into your new normal. 

References:

Inhabitat (2013). 8 Innovative Emergency Shelters for When Disaster Strikes. [online] Inhabitat. Available at: https://inhabitat.com/8-innovative-emergency-shelter-designs-for-when-disaster-hits/ [Accessed 15 Mar. 2020].