Blog Post 3: Project Outcomes and Personal Development Reflection Task

Although I was unable to produce refined outcomes for my Contemporary Portrait Photography unit due to lockdown restrictions, I was able to further analyse the objects and garments that were personal to me around my home. One of the home photography tasks that I was set was to create a fashion self-portrait. This consisted of me dressing up in my favourite garments such as my purple Supreme t-shirt with a drawing print on the back. I included my silver and gold necklaces as well as rings I purchased from places such as Shepherd’s Bush Market since jewelry is such a massive part of my style. I included my Fila trainers in the outfit even though I was inside my house because I appreciate how the vintage form of the brand co-ordinate with the other pieces of my outfit. I took multiple photos on my iPhone of my outfit and compiled them into one collage using PicsArt. These photos are quite colourful because I would like the clothes that I wear to reflect the optimism that I feel for the future in this dark, troubling global pandemic. 

(My photo) 

My last Better Lives session required me to submit a photo I had taken myself that I was most pleased with and wanted feedback on during the session. 

(My photo) 

This photo was taken on my iPhone in Shepherd’s Bush Market. I titled this photo: Only Time Will Tell because it represents how materialistic possessions are only temporary and that nothing stays the same. The rusting of the garage door alludes to how everything in this existence changes and ages with time. In this current pandemic the world is facing right now, we can see that nature is thriving with more people staying at home and causing less destruction to the environment. Nature is powerful in damaging matter but is significant in brightening up the world with exceptional weather in this distressful time. The task as well as the pandemic has made me realise that it is always best to work with the resources you already have and that sometimes less is more.  

Throughout this Better Lives unit, I have learnt to be more considerate of where I purchase my clothes from and the effects it can have ethically and environmentally on the world and its people. As a consumer interested in the fashion industry, it is important that I begin to look at investing into more ethical brands to not only avoid further impacting the environment but to also eradicate the after guilt of purchasing an item from a corporation exploiting vulnerable workers around the world. Despite many people not having the financial means to support smaller, more ethical businesses, those that can need to come together to sustain the world’s resources for future generations by being more considerate with their consumption.