Blog post 2

Reflection on themes and my creative process

The Better Lives Unit informed us on fashion and its connection to themes such as diversity, sustainability and social responsibilities. 

My Fashion Activism classes highlighted those themes in relation to creative direction. These classes have made me realise aspects of diversity, sustainability and social responsibilities that I didn’t necessarily think would be needed as much in this practice. For example it has taught me that when brainstorming for a visual campaign it’s important to consider resources carefully, to be inclusive and to think of ethical production. This was new to me as I thought that sustainability for example doesn’t affect creative direction as much as other more hands-on practices where actual tangible products are made.

What I learnt in creative direction can also be applied to my creative practice as a fashion image maker and illustrator. For instance thinking of resources that are renewable and reusable is key. It is important to maximise repair, reuse, remaking and recycling products. This may mean that when I’m styling a model for a shoot or a life drawing session I will need to consider using upcycled, second hand or borrowed clothes in order to maximise the reuse of already available products. This will diminish the amount of waste created due to over consumption of fashion items. Also when creating illustrations I may start using scraps and recycled pieces of paper to draw on or create collages with. This will also help the amount of paper wasted. I’m glad our research journals where we record our developments are already digital as that decreases the paper waste too.

Inclusivity is also very important in the illustration field as it helps to show representation of different body types, races, ages…etc. I have seen students from the year above put that into practice as they’ve based their illustrations on various types of fxmme bodies, with stretch marks, rolls and skin conditions, which I found very thoughtful and smart. It is so easy to dismiss how our illustrations can contribute to inclusivity and representation in the media and how much it would mean to people who can relate or look up to that image. Just by drawing different kinds of people we are able to shed light on them and celebrate them just as much as the models we generally tend to draw without any flaws or not as varied. This makes me feel like we are as important and as much of a contributor to this cause as other fashion fields, and that showing diversity isn’t exclusive to catwalk or fashion photography, it can be achieved through illustration too.

Lastly, it’s important that I look into ethics as an illustrator. I don’t want to illustrate for brands that aren’t in favour of ethical production. And even the mediums I use to draw with should be ethically sourced or recycled. Whether it be natural paintbrushes or sketchbooks made of recycled paper. It should be ethically produced.

The Better Lives project will also inform my practice in an upcoming project for my Fashion Activism classes, in which we are going to create a visual campaign keeping in mind the themes of sustainability, diversity and social responsibilities.

1 Comment