Blog 3 – project outcome

Regarding personal development, my perception of photography has changed dramatically, in this better lives units, at the beginning, I choose contemporary portrait photography because I thought as a stylist learning some basic photograph skills would be beneficial, however, when I found out there were not many skills were be taught, instead of the ideas and culture behind the photo, which is much helpful. I know some organizations, they will emphasize how important professional equipment and models are, how to set up lights and backgrounds and so on, it is undeniable that their outcomes are in line with public aesthetics, but when I came into contact with this course, I found that the thoughts behind them are soulless, and are just the products of current popularity.  I have been introduced a range of photographers, which give me plenty of creative ideas. Moreover, although we cannot go out in search of a perfect studio and professional equipment during this difficult period, but this is a good time to seriously consider the elements available around us, which are often overlooked by us. Especially when I saw the works of the photographers introduced in the course, I became more convinced that a good story is more attractive than professional equipment.

For my final outcome, I decide to produce a portrait with my girlfriend, inspired from a photographer Cindy Sherman, we can know that how she uses a simple way to use the props and styling, to transform our understanding, as well as considering the 90s rave culture which were talk about in the lecture. At the beginning, we have tried different ways to produce a portrait that we all satisfied, but the outcome is not outstanding, so we decided to simplify our elements, so a black background where be used, because it will make the people more outstanding with colors,  we can see that she wears a yellow shirt which make the whole picture more impactful, because yellow accounts for most of the proportion, a tote bag and some clips make a very funny headscarf, the black sunglasses are also affected by 90s rave culture, after wearing the sunglasses, she was also more confident in front of the camera, throw the lens I can see who she really is. During the period of taking pictures, I found out although taking pictures is just press the button, however, I gave me a different angle to observe my girlfriend, a different way to communicate. Moreover, this is the first picture I took that satisfied me ever, as it represents my own view of this world. Overall, thanks to this better lives units, which gives me a positive effect on my future project.