Better lives blog 3

During our classes with Steven, learning about prosthetics we discussed how the lecture themes applied within the practise. Such as diverse casting and fighting negative stereotypes such as not creating villainous characters with facial disfigurements.

In creating my character, I decided to look at enhancing a human for the future, changing features to increase our effectivity in the modern world. I thought having bigger eyes and ears may help us in taking in more information, whilst the leg springs would lessen the need for car journeys and public transport which in turn would help the environment massively.

It’s been interesting to see, throughout the project, how much the lecture themes are in fact neglected and how much more we can all do to be more considerate of them in our everyday choices.  I think Nike is setting a great example for other huge corporations to follow. They’re considerate of the environment and making efforts to be sustainable with their fly knits and fly leathers which productions’ have a much lower carbon footprint than their regular materials and leathers. In addition, they’re also educating their audience as to their choices by holding talks and panel discussions. I attended one at the V & A Museum. Furthermore, they were one of the fist retailers to have plus size mannequins in their store and use plus models in campaigns.

Along with the lectures and good examples from companies like Nike, I’ve realised how easy it is to positively impact the industry by making small decisions. So, for instance, if I was going to create this character for a film. I would have an open and unbiased mind in casting and a prosthetics team that could accommodate for that cast member with the right equipment and experience. I’d also make an effort to try and source either recyclable or reusable materials to make this character come to life.