Better Lives – Blog Post 1

To start of the Better Lives unit I was set the task to attend different lectures, surrounding the themes of the Better Lives’ unit (consisting of sustainability, diversity and social responsibility) to see which topics we naturally connected with.  

For me, I found the lecture by Anna Fitzpatrick – ‘Culture’ was the most thought provoking to me. In this lecture Fitzpatrick spoke on sustainability in an eye opening way (and sustainability is a subject I have based previous projects and had interest for). Fitzpatrick spoke about how sustainable fashion was more of a mindset than an actual product – this basically means that to be fully sustainable it’s not about making a sustainable product as much as just thinking sustainably. This made me think about how there isn’t “one answer” and just making a upcycled garment isn’t helping to solve the problem as much as you would wish.  In the ‘Culture’ lecture Fitzpatrick was very useful in criticizing the fashion industry. This highlighted all the holes in the industry that I was ignorant to such as consumerism, which frames our whole world. Possessions are now top priority and consumers buy 60% more than they need every year. According to Fitzpatrick the percentage will be higher in 10 years time. But why do we only now need so much more? Is consuming the only way to experience fashion? 

Possessions have become so important to us that they have become a part of our extended selves and differentiates you to others. Fashion brands are used to communicate personalities and stand central in the making of ‘in’ and ‘out’ groups, based on stereotypes. This makes fashion very important in social situations, leading friends to be the biggest influence over consumption choices. This was another point that got my brain ticking. Who inspires how I dress? Is individuality going to die out? If society is our biggest influence, is that where the solution lies? 

“The Law, Culture, and Economics of Fashion” law professors Scott Hemphill & Jeannie Suk define fashion as being simultaneously characterized as ‘differentiation’ and ‘flocking’. Since fashion went digital everyone has access to the same information at the same time – leads us to a lack of individuality. This is because fast-pased fashion retailers have the same goal – to make money & expand. Therefore, they must look out for trends that can be adapted for the mass market (the majority) meaning everything looks the same. But how do we make individual clothes, for everyone? 

These Better Lives lectures have opened my eyes fully and have given me a broader look into the fashion industry as a whole, looking at the good and the bad in order to give me, and the rest of my generation, the knowledge to better the fashion industry in the future. So overall, so far the Better Lives unit summed up in one word for me would be…Inspiring.  

reference: https://www.premierchristianity.com/Blog/Why-consumer-culture-could-be-killing-your-faith

2 Comments