Project outcome

Better Lives Blog 3- Project outcome

For my better lives class I chose Makeup breakdown. I was excited to dive into this subject as I have always had an interest in the subject and wanted to explore it in a more creative sense. I throughly enjoyed the lectures and practical sessions during course, especially being in a studio, I found it exciting and something new for me. 

However I never expected my project outcome to be as it is due to the current situation, Having been stuck at home, I have a lack of resources and materials to work from. Nonetheless this quarantine has also given up the opportunity to be creative from home and make do with what we have. 

During our classes we were introduced to several themes and ideas. For out project we were asked to create 5 slides based on the themes we were introduced to, these included color theory, fashion mistake and imperfection. One lecture I connected with was by Kate Fletcher on “Nature”, I wanted my final outcome to be based on that theme as it was something I had close access to in Singapore. Being able to go out at the start, before the lockdown was implemented I had done a photoshoot for a friend of mine, in one of the nature parks of the city. I decided that for my final project I would use those images and creatively implement the theme. During the shoot my friend has asked me to use flora as a means of makeup, I used natural flower dye as a lip tint and used the flowers as “makeup” on my face to represent nature. 

For the final look I was photographed in the park and used my ideas of natural flower die as makeup. I decided to furthermore experiment with the image and look and photoshop the outcome. I then on photoshop played with the brightness and contrast to create a more 3D and pop up effect of my look. I went over the flowers that were placed on my face and layered them to crate a 3D outcome. The base of my makeup was very light as I used light flowers to create the “makeup”.

Personally I was happy with the outcome, however when I look back I wish I created deeper colour dyes so that when photographed the makeup could stand out more in the images. 

The better lives theme has definitely encouraged me to approach looks in a more environmentally friendly and sustainable way. This will also influence me in the products I buy in the future as well as any make tools I decide to use.