Blog post 2 – creative practice reflection

Before the better lives unit, I had considered themes, or similar, of sustainability, diversity and social responsibility within my work to a small extent but was not aware of the greater impact on the fashion industry from my individual choices.  Since I started at UAL/LCF in September, being surrounded by like-minded people studying creative subjects, I’ve been encouraged to practice responsible habits by my fellow peers and students. 

One of those habits which better lives has further encouraged me to participate in when shopping for myself/for a shoot, is to disregard fast fashion, and use charity/second-hand/vintage shops as a source for garments. Not only is it financially rewarding by buying second-hand garments for a fraction of the original price, but it is morally rewarding by not letting the garments go to waste or purchasing other items from a retailer that is not sustainable. I’ve also started selling a lot more of my own clothes that I do not wear, reworking existing items into new garments, and giving items that do not sell to charity so I’m not adding waste to land fill sites that have a strong negative impact on the environment. 

In terms of social media, mainly Instagram where I am following many creative practitioners and influencers to gain inspiration and ideas for my work, I have decided to actively stop supporting, and unfollow any account that promotes any fast fashion or other brand that I do not believe is working sustainably within the fashion industry. When working and creating content in my creative field of fashion photography, I wouldn’t normally work with a person or brand whose vision doesn’t resonate with my own aesthetic. Additionally, after considering what the better lives themes have taught me, I’ll refuse to work with clients promoting unsustainable fashion, or ones that do not exercise equality and empathy for diverse and minority groups such as disabled workers, and most certainly clients that push a white beauty ideal, as I do not believe any of these factors are morally right. 

Further considering diversity when working as a fashion photographer, I will try and work with a diverse range of people and clients to gain insight and inspiration from other cultures, ethnic and social groups. This will also make me aware of any issues that may arise so that I can be empathic and change my ways of working so no one is offended/exploited or violated within my visual practice, for example any appropriation of culture or racism that could be interpreted. 

I also now believe it is more important than ever to share other creatives work and collaborate with them, especially minority social groups such as the LGBTQ+ that have been oppressed by society, to promote equality within the community. When promoting my own work, I will make a conscious effort not to create or share anything with a large amount of photo-manipulation, to celebrate imperfections and diverse body shapes as a norm. 

Overall, the better lives themes have taught me to be more ethically aware of issues that may arise when making work and that I need to be a responsible creative to benefit the fashion industry.