Blog Post 1

After being thoroughly educated through the Better Lives lectures upon most important subjects affecting the practice within the fashion industry, I felt the one of most valuable to me was a well delivered insight about Representation from Teleicia Kirkland. The series of lectures I had watched were all of high importance and interest yet Teleicia Kirkland’s lecture allowed me to further understand and analyse the impact that representation has within the fashion industry and how it is essential we must create more diversity in a very ‘monocultural’ environment. Having had a prior interest in Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu’s influential work to do with Political rights in terms of representation of those of ethnic minorities, I recalled her statement that ‘It is not the job of black people and ethnic minorities to educate white people on racism.’  And since this, I have felt a deep sense of duty as an individual not of an ethnic minority that I educate myself thoroughly to gain full understanding of such issues.

It is necessary to mention that diversity creates more creative output and it is imperative that as an industry we push for more representation due to the age we are living in. As Teleicia stated, we are currently living in a heavily digital internet age where we must understand how everyone operates all over the world. The poisonous misrepresentation of those of ethnic minorities alongside the mass exposure to Eurocentric representation has severe affects that ripple throughout communities worldwide. By mentioning the mainstream media outputs being Eurocentric, I am stating that there is an overrepresentation of European/Western culture paired with masses of greatly offensive underrepresentation of those not from European backgrounds. Consequently, this has a seriously harmful impact on people of colour within the Western world perceive themselves. This discriminatory pre-eminence of European culture creates mass feelings of self-depreciation and those of other ethnicities seeing themselves as ‘undesirable’ –  these feelings coming entirely from their distorted, untrue representation within all types of media, the fashion industry being a main contributor.

Another issue that Teleicia touched upon was ideas of cultural appropriation and cultural appreciation. Richard A Rodgers defined cultural appropriation as ‘The use of one culture’s symbols, artefacts, genres, rituals, or technologies by members of another culture – regardless of intent, ethics, function or outcome.’. Furthermore, what was mentioned was that this could be done for economical gain whilst cultures get no recognition. It is illogical to do this as there is a lack of respect and value placed on the minority culture by the dominant culture. This is highly relevant to the fashion industry as a place where everything created comes from a source of inspiration, it is our duty as a whole to practice in such a way that is respectful and morally correct and to appreciate culture instead of appropriate it.

With the diverse climate we live in, it is a necessity that we practice ordeals that suit the needs of everybody. We must normalise the realness of our environment and practice inclusivity alongside respect and understanding of those misrepresented. Diversity is fundamental, it broadens our creative mindsets and puts an end to ignorance.