Reflections on how the Better Lives themes might change how you work in the future

Due to my chosen Better Lives unit being relatable to my hair and makeup course, it has benefited me with key makeup aspects for the future. The unit went in-depth about how to determine the correct foundation colour for a client. This is imperative knowledge for a makeup artist. I discovered it quite valuable to learn about the undertones of the skin. The skin can have warm tones which are reds, yellows, and oranges. Cool tones like blues, greens, and purples. Or neutral tones indicating your undertone and skin tone match or are very similar. Before this unit, I struggled to understand the undertones of the skin nevertheless I can now determine the appropriate foundation shade benefiting me as a makeup artist.

Additionally, I found the lesson on how to produce a smoky eye effective. This is also something I struggle with furthermore, this unit gave me the skills required to be able to perfect this look and practice it to perfection. I didn’t comprehend which products were satisfactory to create a smoky eye.

It has made me think outside of the box for makeup application techniques and I enjoyed learning about colour theory which I can implement into my collaborative project incorporating complementary colours into my designs to look more appealing. I found myself pairing up complementary colours throughout other tasks in my daily life. The knowledge gained from my lessons especially creating the smoky eye and the lesson on how to recognise the undertones in an individual’s skin will continue to help me in my practice.