Blog3: Project outcomes and personal development reflection

The Better Lives Unit gave lectures on topics such as diversity, sustainability, culture appropriation, social responsibility. My chosen project during this second and third term is “Fashion Illustration: View from the Catwalk”. In this class, I could discuss about various artists and how to draw using various techniques. I got to know a lot more techniques than I knew, and I got to develop. And I was very happy to be able to express more textures through this unit. For the project, I was asked to research a designer or brand related to the lecture themes and investigate it. So the brand I chose is Tommy Hilfiger. 

There is a reason for choosing this brand. The Tommy Hilfiger brand has features that correspond to the subject of Sustainable and Social Responsibility. Tommy Hilfiger was moved to ease the burden of persons with disabilities and present the design. He successfully created a collection of disability friendly clothing for children in 2016 and is now back in line for clothing for adults. The collection was officially launched in October 2017. In addition to sustainable theme shops with eco-friendly interiors, he also actively participates in the Millennium Promise, a non-profit organization that focuses on eradication extreme poverty, hunger and preventable diseases in poor regions, classifying Hilfiger as the Millennium MDG Global Leader of Promos. 

So I focused on these two topics when I was drawing illustrations “Sustainability” and “Social Responsibility”. I have tried many things to draw with natural materials or recycled materials, and I have learned and studied more about disability. It was very shocking for me to think deeply and realize that what I am using comfortably without thinking may be inconvenient for someone just now. When I was painting, I received a lot of help from videos posted by Sue Drey. In the video, she showed various techniques and it was very useful. It is such a shame that I can only access these classes online because of Corona. If it were a face-to-face lecture, I am sure I could have gotten more. Nevertheless, it was a very valuable and fantastic lecture.

In conclusion, the Better Lives Unit was a very desirable lecture for me to think a lot about fashion.

1 Comment