Blog 3 Project outcomes and personal reflection

While working on the Makeup Breakdown project the themes that I’ve chosen to focus on were sustainability and social responsibility. Partially, because in the past I don’t think I had put enough emphasis on them and equally because sustainability has been somewhat imposed on the vast majority of creatives  (including myself) due to the current events. If ‘the bad workman always blames his tools’ then the time of self-isolation is bound to verify how imaginative one actually is having access to very limited resources.

As intended for my final makeup look I used environmentally friendly beauty products: whether they were cruelty-free, vegan or their packaging was made from recycled materials, etc. As the key element of the look I used natural flowers which are undoubtedly a sustainable material. Along the experimentation process I incorporated other objects found at home to create a bold creation on my face. Making do with limited makeup products and using decorations and paint found at home was both challenging, stressful even but fun, too. In the current times, that was a brilliant exercise in pushing boundaries of my creativity. In my understanding, ‘sustainability’ now does not only indicate being respectful in regard of cultural contexts and environmental concerns, but also being creatively efficient within the means available. This unit has been fantastic for building my confidence and exploring resourcefulness within my fashion practice.

Engaging in the makeup course has certainly left me with a deeper consideration for the HMUA’s work. As a stylist or an artistic director of the shoot I’ll be able to more precisely communicate my vision in terms of what I expect from the artist. Moreover, now I also understand far better that makeup looks require time, experimentation and testing just as clothing does. I’ve gained much more respect for makeup practitioners knowing how challenging it might be to work spontaneously and effectively under the pressure of time. And, lastly the project also encouraged me tremendously to be more bold and experimental in my own makeup looks.

When thinking on diversity, I genuinely enjoyed the workshop which taught us how to (with using colour theory) recognize and assort the right foundation shade as well as colours of other products. I was surprised to find out that the depth of skin colour had nothing to do with the undertones determining the cold or warm complexion. With that knowledge I feel quite confident not only to choose my own foundation correctly but also for the model on the shoot, should I had to act as an emergency makeup artist in case of cancellation (which happened to me before).

“Better lives” has not only provided me with theoretical knowledge and profound understanding of the major issues and concerns relevant to the contemporary fashion world or encouraged to be less indifferent, but alert and conscious. It also equipped me with fantastic practical skills and pushed me to experiment and be more attentive and thoughtful while meditating on and realizing my concepts.