Blog post 3

The theme of my Better Lives project was character development. One of the most memorable workshops for me was aging with the use of makeup techniques. The task was not easy. From a charming young friend, I had to create an older version of herself. Classes have really changed my way of looking at the concept of age. I did not want to limit myself to only covering the model’s face with wrinkles made with cream products. I also wanted to show her appearance by giving her a completely new personality as an older person. I wanted to get to know my friend better so I listened carefully and asked questions. The first impression, as well as the cognitive process, is very important. I found out what girl’s approach to aging was and how she imagines herself in old age. I liked the confident attitude and found many common features and interests with her. In relation to this project, I wanted to look on this task ‘out of the box’ so I decided not only to emphasize the features of the face in places where they will change over the years but also to create a caricature version of make-up done by an older person, which can be seen in comedy film references or on the streets. We both agreed that the outcome is undoubtedly the appearance of a typical stereotypical cat lady, that is a fan of peeping neighbors and smoking cigarettes during a favorite show. I think this experience gave me new analytical skills that opened my mind to creating a concept of a character based on cooperation with other, completely new people and what I learned about them in a short time. I think that this type of skill that I can also transfer into creativity in the field of costume design, by combining the common features of the character and the performer to create a garment that will allow him to empathize with the role of the new character, giving a sense of change and finding himself in a new ‘skin’.