Blog Post 3

During the pandemic of COVID-19, I believed that my creative process would be hindered and producing work for Contemporary Portrait Photography classes would be difficult. Since all of us are locked away in our homes as well, and photography being a very hands-on and equipment-based unit I was afraid I won’t be able to produce work of great quality. However, during our lectures, I realised that despite the restrictions one has we can find creativity and beauty in ordinary items. As the unit progressed, and I was exposed to different works and I realised that we don’t need a studio to create a project with meaning and quality. For instance, the Home Portraiture lectured focused on works by photographers such as Heather Glazzard who dealt with topics corresponding to queer identity in domestic spaces. Her latest project Porridge was shot at home along with her partner Nora Nord. Their work uses random objects lying around the house merged with formal photography to employ with historical ideas and contemporary discussion regarding gender and sexuality. This made me realise how a space like a home can be transformed to produce shoots and at the same time help portray concepts like identity and relationships. 

Another artist we discussed, who went to inspire my project was Nigel Shafran. His work revolves around finding prospective beauty in mundane moments of life. His series, Ruth On Phone Shows a journey over the span of 9 years. All the images put together demonstrates a novel conceptual approach to portrait photography. Seeing, Shafran uses old images that he has been taking, I dug around to found film strips from my childhood. Since they were already developed, I scanned these negatives and played around with the colours on Photoshop to develop my final image. This turned out to be a family portrait of mine when I was merely 6 months old. The inverted effect on the image helped me retain the quality as well as give a sense of nostalgic effect to the photograph.  

I believe that even though the pandemic affected our learning in certain manners, I left with skills and knowledge about CPP that wouldn’t have been possible if I was studying in a “normal” state. Having these limitations, I believe that I have overcome my singular point of view of how photography works. I always thought of fashion photography to be these overtly glamourized editorials with high image quality, stylized shoots and professional setups. But I comprehended that it goes beyond that. I developed the knowledge that allows me to use FaceTime, old scrap images and postproduction editing to create photographs with interesting tactility and meanings.  We are in an era of art and photography where that glossy editorials are out and images which push the boundaries of what is considered “fashion” is appreciated.  

1 Comment