Blog 4 Peer Review

Personally I am so interested in photography as well, because I think photo shooting is the final link in a fashion design system, which is the way to show the fashion production to audiences. I chose Holly Morris’s third blog (https://1920betterlivessmc.myblog.arts.ac.uk/2020/05/01/blog-3-project-outcomes-and-personal-development-3/) because my eyesight was caught by the photo a lady is surrounding by hands holding oranges in her blog.  

Holly analysed the connection between Better Lives themes and her contemporary portrait photography project by giving the example of Danny Treacy’s ‘them’ shooting project. she introduced what is the shooting about and how did Danny style the model and background in that shoot. The idea “investigates the precariousness and vulnerability of the forgotten and the voiceless while conjuring up images of the fantasised other, in other words, the monster” is the theme of the project. I have resonance when she mentioned that Treacy’s work reflected with social responsibility and sustainability and based on her analysation I have some my own understanding as well.  Treacy’s work reminds people of the forgotten group of people in the communities which  reveals a social issues and he uses old assembled clothes to do the styling work, which inspired me a lot— fashion photography is not just limited in the fancy garments, we also can use second-hand clothes assembled ourselves to express our theme and aesthetic, so from this point,  portrait photography carries sustainability as well. Holly gave a short statement on diversity, however she could given more statement about this point, I would be more clear about the how portrait photography refer to diversity.

In the end she introduced us her process on her project practice,  though her statement, I know the importance of post-production in portrait photography.  She used only one orange creating the surrounding background, and the color tone responses the blue background as well,  which is so  vivid and energetic. Whats more, her make-up corresponds to the background color as well, the whole make-up aesthetic is in a vintage style. It is really an amazing work under the lockdown situation.