Blog 2 – Theme Reflection

Through the makeup break down sessions, I’ve obtained some useful and basic techniques of makeup application. I am a person who never do makeup on myself and not to mentioned on anybody else. Thankfully, through the sessions, I finally got the chances to practice and the outcomes were better than I expected.

The first session we had was to remove makeup of others correctly. Before that, the tutor delivered a presentation about the relation between skin types and skincare products. It felt really weird to touch another person’s skin. The skin was softer than I thought. It might sound easy to just remove makeup from one’s face, but for someone who had never done makeup it is not that simple. Especially I did not want to damage the face that didn’t belong to me, so I had to be extra careful. To know the skin type of the model and how to clean up different areas of the face are things that need to be taken note.

Another week we had the session of how to do smoky eyes. To be honest, I was a bit nervous before this class because I knew we were going to do on each other’s face and I was very worried about I might make my partner’s face look like a ghost. However, or I should say fortunately, the smoky eyes I created didn’t turn out that bad! Well, I was lucky because my partner was a makeup student, so she gave me some instructions when I was doing it. I think the biggest thing I learned on that day was not simply how to do smoky eyes, but how important it is to let your model feel comfortable. It was because when another person was coloring my eyelids, she poked my eyes so hard that I felt quite uncomfortable. Therefore, from this experience, I told myself always ask how the model feel.

In summer term, due to Covid-19, everyone could only do their works from home. We were asked to use daily objects we could get at home to creative two looks with the themes ‘Imperfection’ and ‘Fashion Mistake’. It was a fun process to create these looks. The process did make me think outside the box. I tried hard to look for things I could potentially put on the face. I got some stickers, masking tape and some kits borrowed from my mom. This activity totally made me look at makeup differently. I wouldn’t think of using objects as makeup to create a look before this session. I found this can be a very useful tip for any creative projects. After all the makeup breakdown sessions, I can’t say I am an expert in makeup now. However, with the information I’ve received, I am sure I can take the knowledge to go further. As a photography student, it is always good to know how to do some makeup to in case there will be any situations that a makeup artist is missing.