BLOG 2

Reflections on how the Better Lives themes might change how you work in the future.

During the whole Better Lives project, we are around three topics to discuss which are Sustainability, Diversity, Social Responsibility. What I am thinking is if people reach these three aims, our world will become a well-being society that means everyone will have a happy life with high satisfaction. 

I am always talking about my development of work in the future and how futuristic design in my project. However, today I am going to discuss how well-being and inclusive design will affect our society. 

The question I am thinking right now is except luxury costumes, do the exaggerated makeup will give the audience a strong visual effect in plays. In the performing arts, most of the aesthetics are established by the people who are able, but there are still people with disabilities in this society, such as the blind, deaf, face or sensory disabled people. For these reasons, they cannot enjoy the performance like normal people, and they cannot obtain the character identity and moods from the actors’ facial expressions and makeup. As a result, this group of people lost their ability to appreciate and the opportunities to enjoy performances. I think if you want to improve the satisfaction of society, designers should consider how to serve the disabled and use products to improve their quality of life, rather than ignore their existence in society.

In the course of Break down makeup of Better Lives, I learned about contouring. In the process of doing contouring, first thing need to understand is the facial structure of the model, and then draw a facial map on the model’s face. The facial map uses color areas to express bones and skin Relationship. These knowledges provided me with some inspiration fo my future works. I want to use silicone which is similar to skin texture to make some smart materials. These smart textiles pieces will be combined into a sensor mask that covering the user’s face which are the bone areas. When sensors receives the facial movements of the actor during the performance, at the same time, the different smart textile piece will produce different vibrations at different positions. This way can not only give a disabled person a new perspective to enjoy the performance, but also give them a more stimulating way of appreciation in addition to hearing. I think this smart mask will effectively improve the satisfaction of disabled people in art appreciation and give them more opportunities to communicate with the outside world.

In future performances, I will think more about how to achieve visual, auditory, and tactile design, and use intelligent materials to make disabled audiences comfortable. Call on more designers to increase the actor’s professional satisfaction and the audience’s satisfaction with life in a stylish way.