Project outcomes and personal development reflection

In an attempt to stick to the conceptual framework that I laid out in my second blog post, I ended up choosing punk as the subculture that I would engage with for my styled look. This was something that my parents had identified with when they were young and draws on lots of visual cues from our wider cultural background, for example the adoption of tartan and kilts. In a retrospective way, I started to revise the subculture making these ties more obvious, choosing a mohair jumper, a staple of the punk wardrobe, that had a stag’s head on it: a very popular motif in Scotland (especially with my grandmother).

To bring punk up to date, in line with the better lives themes I devised a sub-sect that I dubbed ‘Earth punk’. They have left behind the self-destructive behaviour of the original punks like drug taking excessive aggression. While they retain their rebellious nature, it is manifest in very different ways: rejecting society and the economy by living off grid. I was inspired to make this change as I found that, in isolation, I found comfort in reconnecting with nature, which I hadn’t realised how much I missed living in London. It means that not only would this lifestyle be more sustainable, only taking the essentials from nature, but it would also be beneficial for the individual’s mental, relieving the pressures of society. The t-shirts of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren’s Seditionaries were another aspect of punk culture that I found myself drawn to, featuring graphics of Snow White snorting lines of cocaine and Mickey Mouse doing heroin. In line with the general direction of my project I swapped these out for another graphic tee, this one with a sleeping gun motif and reading ‘give peace a chance’ across the back.

When it came to the improvised accessories I decided that using natural matter to make them was the way forward as this stayed true to my new subculture, this is what they would have around them if they were living in a caravan in the woods. I safety pinned a leaf to my fishing hat as a nod to both the punk DIY aesthetic but also the practical aspect of trying to blend into your surroundings if you want to be successful in catching anything. I also remembered that a couple of weeks previously I had been tasked with hacking ivy of trees and had been interested in the strange furry texture of the stalk. I went back to one of the trees that was the worst affected and cut myself a piece the right size to be a mask that ended up looking like a beard from a comical disguise. I thought this worked nicely as a subversive and humorous way of protecting identity may be in the interest of someone who didn’t want to be logged in the government bank of facial recognition knowledge.

1 Comment