Blog Post 3 – Project Outcomes and Personal Development Reflection

STYLING MASTERCLASS ONE: 

When preparing for the first of the two styling masterclasses, I considered the use of the garments over their lifetime, all be it in a very conceptual way as we were challenged to explore the endless possibilities; reinventing the style and look of the garments and detaching their original functions from the colour, texture and shape they offered. For example, in look one you can see that this fabulously electric, smoothed python trench coat cinched in at the model’s waist has been redefined as a gowned skirt. The heavy weight makes the trench lose all sense of itself, and as the sleeves end, more volume begins. The skirt now reflecting this lurid nocturnal brilliance of the trench coat in a new form. The original is indistinguishable, mocking the archetypal shapes seen across the 90’s supermodel era with a small tennis upper half. Essentially here I am proposing that the life of a garment does not end when lime python trench’s are no longer in fashion, rather I am suggesting playing more and reinvent – it’s just fabric! 

Convention also doesn’t have to be boring. In look 2, a dropped shoulder and some volume added to the beneath layer gives this an off-kilter, opulent effect; the original construction of the trench is more apparent, but it has been given this wide shouldered, slackened tailored feel, the opulent formal shoulders have been reduced in their formality adding a more casual feel. A tropical ribbed turtleneck, studded boots and a sport-tech fabric cross body bag complete the look. 

I wanted these looks to become the forward slash between street/sportwear, I therefore referenced Virgil Abloh’s Off White women’ collections, where he manages to create the overall feeling of a very delicate silhouette, yet there being harder sportswear references. Clear and as bold as a Nike swoosh. Upon reflection of this masterclass, I think both outcomes are effective in communicating this sustainable ideology also – being able ‘reduce’ our consumption, ‘reuse’ our garments and ‘repurpose’ the ideas seen on a huge commercial level were achieved.

FIG.1. CLARKE, W. (2020) LOOK 1, MASTERCLASS 1 [Photograph].

FIG.2. CLARKE, W. (2020) LOOK 2, MASTERCLASS 1 [Photograph].

STYLING MASTERCLASS TWO: A COVID-19 WORKOUT

Adapting to these unprecedented times, I used Facetime to orchestrate a socially responsible, simple and effective quarantined editorial shoot within the theme of sportswear, set within the 80’s at home workout DVD niche genre – drawing influence from Jane Fonda and others alike. Working with what my friend (the model) had to hand, I paired lavender bicycle shorts and a pastel blue sports bra with a custom fluorescent matching sweat band and leg warmer set. A yoga mat (used as an exploded sleeve) and campy heels were added to combine the nostalgic feel with a light hearted modern spirit.

Whilst attempting to be socially responsible it is approach; my masterclass outcome also became SOCIALLY REACTIVE to the current context of quarantine. There is no doubt that the fashion industry has many layers of creatives and logistics behind a finished editorial – here, there were only three people involved. I held the position of creative director and stylist, a photographer using an iPhone on the other side of the facetime call and the model herself (both are sisters isolating together). This huge reduction in the chain of creativity essentially has the power to shift how the industry will operate in the future. Post pandemic, fashion will feel familiar but far away, as businesses spot opportunities to save on scarce resources and still receive quality content – things will undoubtedly change. However, whilst these Facetime editorials may not stick around as we rush to get back to the glossy productions of the past, they will become this great archaeology of panic, where brands were still desperate to sell their new season product. And they do suggest imminent change -Interesting times!

FIG.3. CLARKE, W. (2020) JANE FONDER ‘AND POSE, AND STRETCH. NOW LEAN’ – MASTERCLASS 2 [Photograph].

On reflection of the entire process and short introductory to styling as a whole, I have enjoyed widening my own creative direction; recognising the smaller significant details in styling that are so important when aiming to create significant appeal. In this world of too much content, I value thought placed into important topics such as fashions footprint and its reaction to societal change – and of course created by REAL diverse people. 

1 Comment