Blog 3: Styling and Sportswear Project Outcomes

For my Better Lives module, I chose the styling and production: in and outside of fashion, sportswear fashion language and sub-cultures project. I was particularly interested in this project because I love playing sports and staying active in my everyday life. As a consumer of sportswear and a creative illustrator, I also wanted to experiment in design so I thought this styling opportunity would be a perfect way for me to combine two of my passions.

From subcultures to streetwear, I was truly blown away by all the different styles that were introduced to us. I was only familiar with athleticwear built for exercise such as the basic t-shirts, shorts, trainers, sports bras etc. Although I did feel a little bit lost in discussing subcultures such as punk, hip-hop, grudge and skinheads, it was fascinating to learn about their influence on modern fashion and sportswear. The lectures delivered by the styling and production team were also very informative, including many references of designers and stylists that helped inspire our own looks that we put together in the masterclasses. Within our projects, we were encouraged to consider the Better Lives in our styling practice and were introduced to designers that worked used recycled materials and worked sustainably such as Adidas, working with AMSilk and Parley for the Oceans, finding new purpose for waste.

In the first masterclass that took place before the Easter Break, we had the opportunity to bring in items from our own wardrobe and experiment to create some styled looks using sustainable, second-hand clothing and pieces of scrap material. At first, I was quite nervous about this as my everyday clothes are quite plain, all I had were actual activewear and I didn’t have anything cool that could be considered streetwear. With my limited knowledge of subcultures and few material contributions, I wanted to take a step back in the masterclass but instead, I volunteered to be one of the models when no one else wanted to. Despite normally shying away from the centre of attention, I had a rewarding experience by going out of my comfort zone. One of the looks that we came with was composed of a graphic novel bodysuit with padded arms and shoulders paired with a hot pink mini skirt and metallic high boots. This first look redefined femininity and body types, allowing for more representation in media. The second look was composed of a red jersey and a red plaid skirt, creating more of a streetwear look. As a Canadian Chinese person, I always enjoy seeing more representation in media so it was great to have the opportunity model in this masterclass. I am really grateful that we could conduct the masterclass workshop. The final styled looks that we came up with were unconventional and strayed away from gender stereotype, allowing me to consider more diversity and representation in my work.

References: Savage, K. (2020) ‘The Better Lives Themes and Your Creative Practice’. [Lecture]. Better Lives, In and outside of fashion: Sportswear Fashion language and sub-cultures. University of the Arts London. 1 May.

2 Comments