Blog 3: Project Outcomes and Personal Development

Before starting my Better Lives project, In and Outside of Fashion, I tried not to have any preconceptions of what we might be learning about; starting with an open mind was important to me. While learning about sportswear brands who in the past were seen as popular, how sportswear had been used as fashion in the past and the different types of people who wore said clothing, my understanding for this niche aspect of fashion, its history and what I knew of it in today’s age grew. It was nice and interesting to see how much fashion when it came to sports changed  from football hooligans idolising their teams proudly through a t-shirt to it being incorporated into rave culture in the 90s and to today where brands such as Fila and Reebok seemed to have lost their elite title after being replaced by the likes of Nike and Adidas.

During the lectures and workshops, we were given the opportunity to research further into the sportswear niche and how it had been incorporated through the ages. Finding out that Burberry had once been seen as a brand not worthy for the middle class or those with money was shocking. It was hard to understand how a brand with such heavy price tags now was once seen as accessible to the working class but it was intriguing to learn about nevertheless. One thing I really took a liking to researching was how sportswear were the go-to garments when it came to underground raves in the 90s. In a way I already knew about the secrecy the raves had and perhaps what would be worn but when I compare that to festivals and even the raves documented on VICE due to the discretion that came with them, the inspiration taken from at least 30 years ago is undeniable. It was fun to also learn about the drug culture back then and the use of the smiley as it made making the connection between today, teens raving at festivals, intoxicated, wearing those vintage sports brands to the times of the past that much more clear.

When it came to using our research and creating a look based on what we learnt whether it be mixing different eras and the use of sportswear or sticking to one vintage brand in order to pay homage to it, it was fun working in a team and letting the creativity flow. We had learnt at the start that with being a stylist comes making a brand for yourself to make it clear what clients you take on and that a good assistant is necessary. Although fascinating to consider for the future, it wasn’t something my group had considered when creating a look. We chose to each have an angle for the look whether it be thinking of the era, the brands, actual sports or the social economic side of things. This allowed our look to be even more creative as opposed to being so strict as if it had been an actual client. It made it more fun and in general made us appreciate the past more as wearing sportswear whether it be casually, for high fashion or actual sports is definitely something still done today by all the ages.