BLOG 3

Reflections on how the Better Lives themes have influenced your project outcome and your personal development.

I studied Break down makeup as the main theme in the Better lives unit. Durning all of the classes, we explored the makeup process, fashion trend and set up our aesthetic. For me these classes didn’t teach me much more knowledge, I would create more about fashion combination and sustainability that can help me to develop myself and my works. 

In today’s society, the word sustainability becomes a popular topic for more and more people to participate in the discussion, whether people understand it or not. But I think it’s a positive sign when people realize the sustainability of fashion.

Sustainability is defined as the avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance for the pursuit of global environmental sustainability or the ability to be maintained at a certain rate or level. After learning from Better lives unit, it opened up my horizons. So in my personal view, Sustainability can include materials, industry, and of course, it can also be used to describe the sustainability of culture and style.

Anna Nwankno’s lecture which I attended in the Better Lives theme, Anna talked about how fashion mistakes affect the fashion industries and fashion field. What am I understanding of fashion mistakes are old-fashion products or an unpopular fashion look, but what has fashion mistakes happened nowadays is designers take these fashion mistakes to combined with the newest collection. Because designers used the right way to present their ideas and give the audience a fresh look.

I found some fashion examples to prove that fashion mistakes affect the fashion field. For example, in 2016 CALVIN KLEIN SPRING SUMMER MEN’S COLLECTION in MILAN FASHION WEEK, the designer Francisco Costa brought the style of socks and sandals to the fashion runway for the first time. I think that this style that everyone does not like has continued to influence the future design elements until the fashion mistake of socks and sandals appears in the Gucci Spring 2020 ready to wear collection.Rihanna became the cover model of the September 2018 issue of the British version of “VOGUE”. In the photo, she is wearing a large wreath as a headwear, dark purple lips and deep eyes are very beautiful, but a pair of retro fine eyebrows are very eye-catching. Women in the Renaissance loved thin eyebrows or shaved their eyebrows to show their broad foreheads, and because the fine eyebrows in Clara Bow’s representative film “It” became popular in Hollywood in the 1920s, but now There are no traces of fine eyebrows in her fashion makeup. Even people think it is also a fashion mistake. I think that in Rihanna’s photoshoots, her eyebrows did not look strange because the makeup artist used the right way to present.

This is the outcome of my Make-up Break Down theme. I explored the fashion mistake and color theory these two topics at the same time. In the part of hairstyles, it is much simpler than traditional hairstyles, but I only use some materials that I can find at home, for example, I used two pairs of chopsticks as hairpins. I think this is the embodiment of fashion mistakes. The chopsticks that should have been tableware have become an element that can support my work. For the makeup, I use a lot of white foundation and red and a small amount of black as embellishment. I planned the amount of these three colors and the area on the face so that they would not look awkward. I think that the white foundation with red eyeshadow or blush has been abandoned by the fashion trend, so I redesigned this makeup with the help of geisha culture. This is to make white and red makeup become popular again Gives more space for the development of geisha culture.