Blog 2 Reflection on how Better Lives themes might change how I work in the future

From Inclusion to Representation, these 2 lectures in Better Lives Unit pulled my focus to the theme of diversity. They discussed it from both a practical, design process that targets real people thus attracting the largest possible number of people; and the media’s power to represent and reshape the reality thus affecting our perception of different cultures. Both aspects link closely with the practice within my degree subject: costume for performance.

I need to prepare myself for working with a diverse crowd of people: performers from different cultural background, with variable body shapes that are suited for manifold performance contexts and ever moving life events. For example, sometimes actresses for stage plays choose to stay on the performance after they get pregnant, then we must make a design decision on whether or how to conceal or adapt her pregnancy in costume; opera singers might find corsets restricting or supportive to their singing lungs, so we can design around that decision… I can see a parallel between the “user-centred” inclusive design that research on the real person and emphasize on how the real person use their designs, and costume design. When we’re designing costumes, we are also designing for characters whose backgrounds we need to research on, and we need to consider the theatrical effects our costumes will bring: does it make sense and corresponds to the story? If so, do the costumes help us understand or tell the story? Furthermore, how will the costumes look in a theatre or film setting (including lights, props)? Realistically, how will the cameraman or live audience see our intended design elements? The discipline of inclusive design helped me consider my costume designs in a holistic way.

As costume design is closely linked to media, including TV, film, or stage, I also need to consider the representations my designs will intend. Media is such a powerful express and reinforce ideologies, that without critical evaluations, audiences are rendered unconscious of how their perceptions of reality is shaped by the media. Why do we associate boldness and scarification with villains? While there might be a specific historical context where scars are linked primarily with a violent and criminal past, is that really a true representation of the reality? What of burn or acid victims that are mocked of and associated with famous film villains such as Freddy Kruger? What of African cultures where scarification is considered beautiful? How do we engage with scarification critically? Scars can mark a stage of growth, like Tyrion Lannister and Kylo Ren, in both cases are logical character developments. It can also be a distinctive and mysterious feature that subverts this stereotypical association and sparks curiosities like Nick Fury in Marvel, whom I initially thought of as evil, and couldn’t wait to find out the story of how he got his eye injured. Joker is a lively villain who is not created ugly or scary for the sake of it. His acid burns and facial scars are complemented by his clown makeup, without which his appearance wouldn’t look complete. While his burns and scars tell us his backstory, we remember him mostly by the strong, stylised visuals of his makeup and costume.

What the Better Lives theme diversity has taught me is that, I need to strategically design for my characters and be mindful of the representations my designs mean, if I want my future career practice to be of value.

1 Comment