Blog 3: project outcome and personal development reflection

My `Better Lives´ chosen project is `Developing a Character´, based in the special effects make-up degree. Thoughout all the workshops, we have been learning different characterization make-up techniques with the aim of creating a character that evolves. Due to the current pandemic situation, we needed to change the way we all raise the outcomes of our projects. Thus, we have created a drawing with the design we were willing to do. 

In the course of this unit, I have been particulary concerned about the social responsability theme. In terms of enhancing it, I wanted to recreate a character with an inclusive identity. So often issues like evil characters with deformed features or super heroes that sexualised that are better known for their appearance than for being heroic have been shown on the big screen. My character design then is a non-binary superhero whith no sexual features. It has a completely deformed face, even though it is a benevolent character. I have been inspired by the film `Skins´ (2017), which tells the story of several characters who have different deformations on their bodies and how challenging their lifes within the society can be at times. 

On the other hand, it has been gratifying to learn new ways of how to be more eco friendly in my practice as a make-up artist and adding new knowledge about the impact in our environment if we are not cautious using some products. I have also learnt even more about how important is to follow the correct hygiene measures in the make-up industry, which is a matter even more underlined due to the current situation. 

Furthermore, the COVID-19 outbreak has raised the social responsability in too many aspects. There are so many brands that these days have been helping economically and through different initiatives. Some examples are MAC cosmetics, which through its Viva Glam campaign has helped 250 local organizations and Estée Lauder which has donated a big economic amount to `Doctors Without Borders´. The development of the Better Lives unit and being a Estée Lauder employee, has encouraged me even more these days to help the others donating when possible and being creative to come up with new solidarity ideas. 

In terms of my future practice as a fashion make-up artist, I am willing to be inclusive if I have the opportunity to be in charge of the casting in some projects within the industry, trying to include a variety of types of skin like freckling, depigmentation, burnt or aged ones, where what is considered `perfect beauty´would take place. 

Overall, my better lives project choice will help me in my personal degree development as some of those techniques can be used in the fashion make-up field. After all the new knowledge acquired throughout the unit, I am also willing to include concepts like identity and inclusivity in my practice through the use of different types of skin models and having a good variety of shades in my kit for all the skin types and colours. 

References: 

Samaha, B. (2020) Harpers Bazaar. Available at:https://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/designers/a31901094/fashion-beauty-companies-coronavirus-donation/