Blog 3

Reflecting on my Navigating Through Clothing Project Outcome and Personal Development

For my final outcome I chose to design a costume for the character of Gretel (Figure 1). I gravitated to her transformation from naïve young girl to the hero of the story and was captivated by her ability to protect her brother no matter the circumstance. I designed Gretel a costume that represented this side of her and found inspiration in powerful girls from pop culture. In particularly Pippi Longstocking, as a child I found Pippi to be a captivating character, her carefree and whimsical life was far from my own and her clothing perfectly echoed this. Pippi’s loose comfortable dresses and scuffed up leather boots allowed her to adventure freely and not be restrained. Gretel reminded me of the Pippi I adored growing up and took on board the idea that the costume should be loose and free-fitting, allowing the audience to be convinced that this is an outfit a young girl could go trekking through the woods in. 

To help stimulate ideas the Navigating Through Clothing class was taken to the British Museum. There I came across the French painter Edouard Vuillard and his bold use of colour and illustration. I felt an instant adoration for his work and my final colour palette was influenced by his 1891 oil painting, The Flowered Dress (Figure 2). I settled on a bright lime green shade paired with a white and yellow striped under shirt. This bold choice of colour allows her to be spotted easily on stage and emphasises her playful side. Vuillard’s use of print and pattern also excited me and led me to create my own pattern for Gretel’s costume. Intrigued by the relationship the two children have with animals throughout the story I played tribute to the ‘little duck’ referenced at the end of the tale by illustrating several ducks and positioning them in a way which created a repeating pattern. This covers Gretel’s dress and adds a childlike component to the outfit. 

When deciding what the costume should be made out of, I referred back to the Better Lives theme of sustainability and knew I wanted the dress to not have detrimental effect on the environment. I settled on cotton for both the dress and under body suit, as cotton is “sustainable, renewable, and biodegradable, making it an excellent choice as an environmentally-friendly fibre throughout its entire product life cycle.”. Also, I felt it was important for the actress who would play Gretel to feel as though she was wearing something comfortable and soft allowing her to immerse herself in the character and truly believe she could go on Gretel’s adventure in this garment. I thoroughly enjoyed this unit and believe it has opened my eyes to a side of the fashion industry I hadn’t previously considered.  

References

Figure 1: Eleanor Parry-Hensley, 2020, Final Design of Gretel

Figure 2: Édouard Vuillard (French, 1868-1940), The Flowered Dress, 1891.Oil on canvas, 38 x 46 cm. São Paulo Museum of Art, Brazil.

• Anon, Cotton Sustainability: Frequently Asked Questions. Cotton and Sustainability Frequently Asked Questions. Available at: https://www.cottoncampus.org/Cotton-Environmentally-Friendly-Sustainability/ [Accessed April 30, 2020].
  • Anon, Hansel and Gretel. Grimm 015: Hansel and Gretel. Available at: https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm015.html [Accessed April 30, 2020].
2 Comments