Blog Reflection 3

The Better Lives themes had a large impact on my personal development during these past few weeks as I worked on my individual project. Fashion Illustration: View from the Catwalk gave me the freedom to choose a designer or fashion brand which shared the same message as the Better Lives themes, and to base three illustrations around them, all whilst incorporating our artwork with the message of sustainability, diversity and social responsibility.

The brand which I decided to focus my illustrations on was Tropic of C, which is an eco-friendly swimwear brand by Candice Swanepoel. What makes Tropic of C resonate with the Better Lives themes is the fact that firstly, it is sustainable. It prioritises recycled materials (such as fishing nets, fabric scraps and industrial plastic) in the manufacturing of its swimwear. It also focuses on methods of production which reduce the use of water and energy. The swimwear designs take artistic influence from the rich history of South Africa, which Swanepoel is native to. By using Tropic of C in my project, I wanted to explore how I could further highlight the better lives themes in my artwork with a brand which already embodies them, whilst utilising the ideas and research which had been covered in the Fashion Illustration workshops and online drawing classes.

Firstly, I did all of the illustrations for my project on cardboard, as I acknowledge that sketchbook paper is not very sustainable. The workshops as well as the lockdown due to Coronavirus outbreak helped me to understand that one can use household items to create art, therefore I used old cardboard as a base for my drawings. My first drawing took inspiration from Tropic of C’s “Mama Africa” collection, and I tried to incorporate nature and the environment into my illustration, which can be seen in the image below. One of Tropic of C’s mission statements is to help save the rainforests, so I thought this illustration was a good reflection of that.

For my second illustration, I wanted to experiment with different body types, as although Tropic of C is very sustainable, its campaigns and photoshoots primarily feature only one body type. I used chalk and colouring pencils in the image below in order to create a more realistic figure looking figure.

For my third illustration, I tried out the technique introduced in one of the online master classes; of dividing a human face mathematically in order to draw it more accurately. I attempted to draw a model which looks different from whichever angle you look at it. I played around with shadows, highlights and hairstyles using black and white chalk, and the image can be seen below.

Overall, my Better Lives project was a fulfilling experience which mainly taught me that everyday household items can be used to make artwork. I would have liked to have had more resources which were used in the online classes such as paint, but working with what I had made the project more challenging and gratifying.

1 Comment